Q5 ID Security
Your identity's been stolen! It might have happened when you were visiting the Mall with some friends. Visit the online and interactive Mall and explore Plaza Security.
I Can Statements
- be safe on the Internet
- respect others' privacy
- protect myself from identity theft, scams, and hoaxes
Vocabulary students should define during this Quest
- Credit Card Fraud
- Personal Identity Theft
1. Start by visiting the Mall to get an overview of how to navigate using the Mall Map of stores and the menus and help discover what to do to prevent or deal with ID theft.
2. After you listen to the You Are Here introduction click on the menu link below the image to go to our destination: the Security Plaza.
3. There are four sections to the Security Plaza (Mall Security, Arcade, Book Cafe, and Network Security), and each one has different information. Your teacher may assign small groups to explore one and then report back what they learned to the rest of the class.
Navigation: ***Move your mouse around on the virtual mall screen to see when it changes to an orange arrow. The arrow indicates an interactive hotspot to click on with more information (arrow shown below).
Click on the + Symbol to expand the directions for visiting the different sections.
Mall Security Directions
1. Mall Security: Visit the Virtual Mall Security section and move your mouse around to locate the hotspots to learn more.
2. Click on Will to hear his story about his laptop being swiped and to watch the close circuit video showing who took it.
3. Click on the Identity Theft poster to view it and be able to download it.
4. Click on the Security Guard in the center for answers to these questions:
- What is Identity Theft?
- What can your faminly do to reduce the risk of ID theft?
- What can you do to help?
5. FTC poster (Deter, Defend, Detect)
6. Review this FTC Fact Sheet on what to do in case of credit card fraud.
Assignment: Think about the Factsheet. Make a list that answers the following questions:
- What should you do right away?
- What law enforcement agency protects you?
Share your list with your family.
Click Finished and proceed to the other areas as directed by your teacher. This concludes the Mall Security section. Check with your teacher on what to do next.
1. Locate the Hotspots to click on to learn about Protect Personal Information.
2. Protect your house using keys: d, f, j, or k (please note there is no way to win, the aliens always do)
3. Learn answers to:
- The Cyclo-whos are stealing what now?
- Why would aliens want my personal information?
- How do I know when it's OK to give out my info?
4. Check out this FTC Fact Sheet (.pdf) for personal information: Identify Yourself
Assignment: Use the fact sheet provided and your own common sense to complete the following:
- Make a list of two low-tech defenses you and your family can do.
- Make a list of three high-tech defenses you can use
Check with your teacher for options to complete this assignment: Share with the class, turn in your document list, share with your parents, etc.
1. Visit Timmy and Emily in the book cafe to get some great tips about Privacy and Personal Information. Help Emily design her online profile and the consequences of posting personal information online. Help Timmy give an application to Emily and show he likes her.
Assignment: Think about the factsheets, then discuss with a partner or class:
- In Emily's Personal Information sheet what are some things you should do before you post?
- With Online Coupon Offers: What should you do if someone asks for your personal information?
3. Choose Finished and proceed to the other areas as directed by your teacher. This concludes the Mall Security section.
4. Check with your teacher on how to turn in this assignment.
1. VIsit the Network Security section of the virtual mall.
2. Move your mouse around and locate the five "hotspots" of information.
Assignment: Discuss with a partner or small group about Network Security and security online. List some of the things Jack tells you to watch out for?
According to "The Winner Is":
- What are some ways you can spot a scam?
- How should you handle it if you receive a scam phone call?
According to "Just Take a Pill":
- What are some of the common phrases used for a fraud?
- How can you do if you have been the victim of a fraud?
4. Click "Finished" and proceed to the other areas as directed by your teacher. This concludes the Mall Security section.
5. Check with your teacher on what to do next.
Fight back against ID theft by visiting the FTC Identity Theft website.
We hope this has helped you be more aware of ways to protect yourself from scams, hoaxes, and cyber-thieves.
Completing this Quest
Complete the Virtual Security Plaza sections as instructed by your teacher and complete the assignments identified.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Proceed to the next Quest
Websites and Applications
ISTE and Common Core Standards
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
c. Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property