Students are learning that computer science is more than just using apps or programs created by others. We want students to make connections between these computer science concepts and the real world. Coding is the language that the computer needs to operate. All children should have a chance to learn about algorithms, how to make an app and how coding is the drive to how everything works.
Students love characters and this activity will give them a chance to create their own character by coding with the x & y axis.
- Be able to make connections between computer science concepts and the real world.
- Understand how to modify shape by changing x and y axis.
- Know how to layer objects to create & share their own characters.
- Code: (v) To code is writing instructions for a computer.
- Program: A program is an algorithm that has been coded into something that can be run by a machine.
- Review X and Y axis for graphing (Any subject with graphing & interpreting graphs would be a great connection for this)
- The teacher registers students on the Made With Code website.
- Have the students watch the X and Y Axis Video Tutorial.
- When on the Made With Code website, direct students to projects tab and then to Avatar. (The students are using Blockly programming language to create the avatar)
- Click on Avatar and then students will be ready to create their own characters
- Watch the video Google's Made With Code. This video may be able helpful for teachers learning to code themselves.
- See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
- Tell the students they are going to learn how to create an avatar which is a computer character. They are learning the basics of beginning coding.
- Have the students review the student made video.
- The students go to the Made With Code website and click on the projects tab.
- Next, they click on Avatar which takes them directly to the X & Y axis space to code (create) their character.
- When the student has completed their Avatar, it can be downloaded to use in projects.
- The Made With Code website has many coding activities for students. For example students can learn how to create an emoji, a GIF, a soundtrack and much more.
- The students can use the avatar they have created and write a short story about it.
- Check for understanding
- Spotlight sharing of work in classroom.
- Students can share the link and add to their student portfolio, website, Google Classroom or any other tools the teacher is utilizing.
Solve IT! Computational Thinker
5d. Students understand how automation works and use algorithmic thinking to develop a sequence of steps to create & test automated solutions.
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
Device and Resources
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Have the students use the avatar they have created in a short story.
Creating the characters connecting to the Art Class.
Graphing practice using the X & Y axis to both plot information and read plot points.
Graphing in Science to practice for M-Step Testing as well as information used in your content areas.
Graphing in Social Studies to practice for M-Step Testing as well as information used in your content areas.
This task card was created by Denise Gallemore, Marysville Public Schools, February 2018.