With technology changing almost by the minute, it's really hard to keep up to date. While some of your parents/guardians may remember using a slide rule in their math courses, not many will have used an abacus. What have these been replaced with today? Go through the steps below to find out.
I Can Statement
utilize input and output devices
1. Visit this history site to view an abacus and slide rule. Show this site to an older relative, family member, or friend of yours to see what they remember. Learn how the sliderule was used for calculatioins for the Apollo mission to the moon. 3:49 min Youtube video shown below.
2. Download the 21t4s Equipment Gathering Document (Either print it or save it to your device).
Use the questions provided in this information-gathering document with at least three of the following: older relative, family or friend. Ask them about their earliest experiences with technology: as a child, at home and in school. Take notes on each of their answers and ask for more information, just like a CSI investigator.
3. When you are done with the interview, enter your information into our survey tool. You will need to do this three times, once for each of your interviews.
4. Check with your teacher on how he or she wants you to document your interview (hand in your completed interview sheet, capture your document with a digital camera or scanner, or take a screenshot of the information you entered).
5. You will be able to view the results to see what other students across the globe have discovered from their interviews after you submit your answers.
6. The last part of this Quest is to be sure you can identify equipment in your classroom or home. Take the Challenge Match Quiz and learn the names of each piece of equipment below:
Add this to your 21t4s roadmap as a bonus
No Student Checklist is provided for this Quest.
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
c. Curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts that demonstrate meaningful connections or conclusions
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
Websites and Documents
21t4s Videos or Linked documents
- 21t4s Equipment Gathering Google Document to print or save
- Surveymonkey Survey Tool
- Quizlet Match Quiz
Linked Videos from other sources