Creating unique and classy or splashy presentations is another skill area to tackle. In this Quest, you will explore editing tools for your presentation and slides, change the background, the layout, the theme, and apply animated or video-like transitions. Explore and share your discoveries.
I Can Statements
- collaborate online to create a presentation
- understand the features and attributes of effective presentations
- create a multimedia presentation using a variety of tools
Transitions: Transitions are animation-like effects that occur in Slide Show view when you move from one slide to the next during an on-screen presentation.
Layout: Slide layouts contain formatting, positioning, and placeholders for all of the content that appears on a slide.
Theme: A theme is a set of design elements, including backgrounds, colors, and fonts, that give your presentation a professionally designed feel.
Play the Vocabulary Game to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode".
1. Open The World In Which We Live slideshow that you have been working on. Look at the drop-down menu for SLIDE.
Step 2 Background, Layout, Theme
2. The video at the top of this Quest page covers this step.
In your group, go to the title slide and see what happens when you change the background, apply a different layout, and change the theme. You can always Undo if you decide you do not like one of these changes.
BACKGROUND: This changes the background color of your current slide. Try it with an image, too. You may notice that if you use an image as your background, it is really difficult to read the text. If you use an image as your background, put your text on the top of a colored shape so it will show up. Change it to the way you want it after experimenting.
LAYOUT: The layout is how you are going to arrange your information.
THEME: The theme is a set of design elements for your entire presentation. If you change the theme, consult with your team because it will change it for the entire presentation.
Step 3 Transitions & Animations
3. Now for some fun with Transitions!
- Go to your own Slide and then scroll down to Transition on the Slide menu.
- A transition is how the slides move from one slide to the next.
- View the short video below and try a few transitions.
- Discuss with your team if you want all of the transitions to be the same for the presentation or different for each or some of the slides.
- Don't forget the tips about a good presentation in Quest 2 Basics.
This video is for Steps Three and Four
4. Animation FUN! This time you will each animate some elements on your slide(s). You might want to animate some text, an image, a shape, or other element. Watch the short video and try it.
5. Your team should now watch the entire presentation together and decide if they need to edit anything to improve it.
Completing this Quest
Once you have completed your edits and you and your teammates are satisfied, check with your teacher for approval to proceed to the next Quest and learn how to arrange objects.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Ready for Quest QM5 Arrange
Quest Teacher Guide
Competencies and Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
c. Use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
6. Creative Communicator
c. Communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations
d. Publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for a variety of audiences
7. Global Communicator
b. With guidance from an educator, students use technology tools to work with friends and with people outside their neighborhood, city and beyond
c. Contribute constructively to project teams, assuming various roles and responsibilities to work effectively toward a common goal