Microsoft Headers and Footers
Headers and footers are critical for documents you create. Just imagine you are reading a manual and it says to turn to page 28, but there are no page numbers in the footer! What if you are getting information for a current news report, and you suddenly notice a date in the header that says 1994?
A footer or header helps provide additional information on the pages of a document and can save a lot of time. The header and footer will appear on EVERY page of the document.
To complete this assignment, add a header and footer to your existing poem document.
Header: Headers are special areas in a document at the top, where you can add the date, time, page numbers, and more, that can then automatically appear on each page in a document (eg. your name, teacher name, date)
Footer: Footers are a special area at the bottom of a page, where you can add text, copyright information, and page numbers that can then automatically appear on each page in a document.
I Can Statement
- add headers and footers to my documents
1. Open your Collaboration document with your Robert Frost poem and select Edit Document in Word online.
2. Click on INSERT on the menu bar
- Select HEADER & Footer and two empty boxes will appear, one at the top (header) and one at the bottom (footer).
- In the Header if you look closely you will see there are three divisions (left, center, and right). In the center one, type "4.Collaboration Assignment"
- In the right-hand section type your name.
- In the left-hand section type your teacher's name and or class period.
- Click on Header & Footer again and the boxes with your text will disappear from your editing view, but are still there.
3. Now in the INSERT menu
- Click on the drop-down arrow by Page Numbers.
- It will show you different locations for your page number, click one on of the choices to put it at the bottom of your page. You will see a <#> symbol appear and a note that "we'll add page numbers here."
- Add today's date in one of the other sections in that bottom box.
- Have fun and locate the drop-down arrow by Symbol, and click in an empty section of the Header or Footer and insert one.
- Click on Header & Footer to close that out.
4. Click on the VIEW menu
- Select Reading View
- Notice that your header and footer and page numbers now show
5. BONUS! Word Count
What if you need to know how many words are in your document? Perhaps you are told to write a 100 word essay. Go to the little box in the menu bar with a lightbulb that has the words "tell me what you want to do" and type Word Count, move your mouse over Word Count and see how many words are in your document. Now that's something that can a whole lot of time!
6. Change the name of the document by clicking on the title. Change it and instead of Q1 type Completed.
Completing this Quest
Check with your teacher about turning in your document, sharing, printing, or posting a link in your Digital Portfolio for evaluation.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
6. Creative Communicator
a. choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into their new creations
d. publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences