Gold - What is the message?
View the video below of Martin Luther King speaking in 1963.
Visit the NPR documentary 'I Have A Dream' Speech, In Its Entirety
In this Quest, you will explore the advantages and disadvantages of using video and written text to get a message across.
1. It helps if half of the class, or a partner, watches the video above, while the other half or partner opens the speech document and reads it silently.
2. Partner up (one that watched the video with one that read the speech) to compare your experience and discuss answers to A-C below. Write down your answers.
A. What is the message?
B. Identify two advantages and two disadvantages for these two different types of media (written text versus video). Which one would you each prefer and why?
C. What types of things can you observe from the video that are not available by reading the text?
3. Compare the advantages and disadvantages and preferences through a class discussion.
4. Check with your teacher to see how to submit your work for this Quest.
Completing this Quest
When you have finished watching the video or read the text document and participated in a constructive discussion about the disadvantages and advantages, you are ready for the next Quest. Save it to your File Space and share it with your teacher.
Check off this Quest on your 21t4s roadmap
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
3. Knowledge Constructor
d. Students build knowledge by actively exploring real-world issues and problems, developing ideas and theories and pursuing answers and solutions
6. Creative Communicator
a. Students choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
Websites and Documents
- NPR documentary, "I Have A Dream' Speech, in its Entirety
Videos from Outside Sources