In this Quest, you will create a remix of your main idea for a different audience. You will use the digital artifacts your group members created in the last Quest, add another resource to it, an introduction, conclusion, and copyright information.
I Can Statements
- create a remix from digital artifacts
- create a Creative Commons license for a remix
Mashup: To combine various forms of data and media together to create a new artifact.
Remix: A digital artifact that has been altered from the original by adding, changing, or removing some of it. (e.g.; using a photo-editing application to crop a photo, changing it using the paint tools, or adding text to it)
Responsible remixing: The "Fair Use" copyright statute for students and educators allows editing and use of copyright digital materials based on four factors: Watch this video from Commonsense.org on Copyright and Fair Use Animation and also refer to 7 Q1 Copyright Laws for more information.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Link
1. Continue to work with your group of classmates to review the digital artifacts created in Quest three. Refer to this 17.Q4 rubric as you work on this assignment.
2. Review the Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Media Table and select an application that will let you:
- combine some part of each of your artifacts
- add a Creative Commons license
- add a new digital artifact or information from one or more of your original research resources
3. Identify a new audience and tailor your message to effectively communicate it. Use this 17.Q4 Remix Information and Reflection document as you complete the Quest steps.
4. Select and add at least one new digital artifact/object (video, audio, image, etc.) from one of the sources used in your research about your topic that supports your main idea.
5. Review the fair use copyright guidelines below to ensure you are not breaking copyright and will cite any sources required.
Fair Use is determined by the courts on the following four factors:
1. the purpose and character of your use
- the remix needs to be transformed from the original work and used in a different and new way
- must not be used for commercial gain
2. the nature of the copyrighted work
- if used for a factual purpose such as for a factual rather than creative reuse (critique, commentary, news report, art assignment, research, analysis or comparison activity) rather than creative
3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used
- avoid using the entire work
- use no more than necessary to accomplish the transformation
4. the effect of the use on the market for the remix
- must not substitute for the original
Teacher Resource: Teaching Copyright Lesson for MS and HS
6. Create and add a Creative Commons license (10.Q1 Search is On) for your remixed work.
7. Finalize and save your new remix digital artifact.
8. Complete the reflection part of your remix Information document with your group to turn in with your remix work to your teacher
9. Have a class showcase of the remixes by your classmates.
Completing this Quest
After completing the I Can Statements, follow your teacher's directions for submitting your group's remixed digital artifact and reflection document.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Go to the Digital Communicator Graduation Page
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
5. Computational Thinker
c. Break problems into component parts, extract key information, and develop descriptive models to understand complex systems or facilitate problem-solving
6. Creative Communicator
a. Students choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.
b.Students create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations.
c. Students communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations.
d. Students publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.
Websites and Documents
Videos from Outside Sources
21t4s Documents & Quizzes