Do you really know who your Internet pen pal is? How do you know your new friend is who they say they are?
In this Quest, you will learn the importance of being a responsible digital citizen. You will learn about potential online dangers, how to stay safe using instant messaging, and how to protect your reputation.
I Can Statements
- be safe on the Internet
- be a good digital citizen
- create an online poster about Internet safety
Instant Messaging: Instant messaging is online communication that allows two or more participants to communicate in real-time.
Internet pen pal: An Internet pen pal is someone you correspond with online via email, chat, instant messaging.
Responsible digital citizen: Being a responsible digital citizen means having the online social skills to take part in online community life in an ethical and respectful way.
Reputation: A reputation is how the public views or regards an individual.
Play the interactive Quizlet Game: Direct Link
1. Learn how to be safe online. (Remember you looked at the 10 Online Safety Tips from the previous Quest.)
2. Watch this video "Protecting Reputations Online" together as a class.
3. Take the online Internet Safety Guidelines quiz
4. Select one of the following topics covered in Danger!:
- Being Safe Online
- Protecting Your Reputation Online
- Internet Safety Guidelines
5. Consider using one of the following options to create a poster covering one of the topics in #4:
- Low-tech: Draw your own or print out some copyright-free images and paste them on paper, use markers, etc. to make a poster, take a picture of it and share with your teacher per instructions.
- Techie: Use a word-processing tool (Google docs, Microsoft Office/365, or other) and include free images and add headline fonts or other features.
- Check with your teacher, they may have an educational account with a poster-making web site with specific directions for you. (e.g.; Canva)
FYI: Additional sites for copyright-free images are listed below in the Additional Resources section. In addition, you may want to add music from Mobygratis.
6. Be creative, demonstrate your knowledge, and cite your sources. Your online poster should demonstrate what you learned about the topic you chose. Make it creative and unique, while explaining why it is important to remember internet safety guidelines, being safe online, or protecting your reputation online. Be sure to properly cite any sources you used in your research.
Completing this Quest
Save your poster to your File Space or link it to your portfolio or online presence. Report to your teacher for approval.
Here is a poster rubric to guide this activity.
Additional Resources for copyright-free images:
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I am ready for the next Quest, Online Etiquette Quest
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
c. Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property
6. Creative Communicator
a. Choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations