Q5 ID Security
In this Quest you will learn about how important it is to know about ID security, ways to keep your identify safe & secure, and what to do if it is stolen or used by someone else. As the video above explains, your personal information can be shared, tracked, and even used for profit by others.
I Can Statements
- be safe on the Internet
- respect others' privacy
- know how to protect myself from identity theft, scams, and hoaxes
Credit card fraud: Credit card fraud is the unauthorized use of a credit card.
Scam: A scam is an attempt to trick someone, usually with the intention of stealing money or private information.
Personal identity theft: Personal identity theft happens when someone steals your personal information to commit fraud.
Sphishing: Phishing carried out as a SMS or Text message that appears from a trusted person or organization, and then convinces you to take action that gives the attacker exploitable information.
Spoofing: When a caller deliberately falsifies the information transmitted to your caller ID display to disguise their identity.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode". Direct Link
1. Make a copy of this Identity Theft and ID Security Handout to complete as you watch the different videos and look at the information provided.
2. Watch this video about Identity Theft.
3. Below are the following methods thieves use to get your identity:
- They steal your mail or go through your trash to get information documents.
- They may burglarize your car or when visiting your home take documents.
- They may hack into your computer or a company or school database.
- They are able to get access to your purse or wallet and copy your credit card information or copy your ID.
- They get a copy of a credit card receipt with your name and address.
- They trick you with an emailed or social media offer, or phishing or sphishing (SMS) attempt
4. Refer to the information in the boxes below as you work on your handout:
- ID theft prevention tips
- Consequences of identity theft
- What to do if your identity is stolen
5. When your handout document is completed check with your teacher about handing it in and discussing your solutions as a class.
ID Theft Prevention Tips
This 45 second music video illustrates all of the Prevention Tips listed below.
Prevention tips recommended for Teens:
- Be careful who you give personal information to (in person, phone, online).
- Be careful about what you download (music, videos, coupons).
- Limit how much information you store on your phone and use a password or key lock.
- Use strong passwords on all your computers and internet connecting devices (not common things like your mother's maiden name, pet, best friend).
- Use password protection on all of your devices. (Not the same one for all, have a creative way to make it different for each)
- Never carry your Social Security Card with you.
- Be super observant when using an ATM and protect your PIN.
- If asked for personal information by someone you do not know, be comfortable with saying you are not allowed to provide it.
- Do not put your Social Security number into your resume.
Consequences of Identity Theft
Why is your Social Security Information so important?
Watch this short YouTube video about some of the Consequences of Identity Theft
What To Do If Your Identity is Stolen
What is the penalty in the Michigan Criminal Court as an example?
- Up to five years in prison and $25,000 fine for the first offense.
- Up to 10 years in prison and $50,000 fine for the second offense.
- Information provided by a legal firm
What to do immediately
1. Report it to a trusted adult, parent/guardian, even if you are not sure but think your ID or credit card has been stolen. Check to make sure you have not misplaced your ID or credit card.
2. Report it with your parent/guardian to your local police department.
3. If it involves a credit card use the number provided on the back immediately to alert them and put a hold on it.
4. If it involves your banking, call the bank.
5. If you believe it was done by a business, check with the Better Business Bureau.
6. Check with your state Attorney General's Consumer Protection website
7. Visit the FBI's Scams and Safety website
- Use the IdentityTheft.gov site to find out how to recover your identity for theft of your Social Security number
8. Check the FTC.gov (Federal Trade Commission) IdentityTheft Assistant for theft involving credit cards, phone, mobile accounts, checking and savings accounts, medical and internet issues.
Completing this Quest
Completed the steps, watched the videos, completed the Identity Theft and ID Security Handout and participated in discussions directed by your teacher.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Proceed to the next Quest
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
c. Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property
Websites and Documents
- BBB Better Business Bureau
- BBB Scam Tracker
- FBI's Scams and Safety website
- IdentityTheft.gov site
- IdentityTheft.gov Assistant site
- Identity Tip Sheet for Teens PDF from Mesa Arizona Police Department
- Michigan Attorney General Identity Theft Support (MITS) Initiative
- Michigan law firm Criminal Court Information
Videos from Outside Sources
- How to spot and avoid scam websites YouTube video (2:35)
- Spoofing: Don't Hang On, Hang Up YouTube video (1:35)
- What are the consequences of Identity Theft YouTube video (2:28)
- What is Identity Theft? YouTube video (2:31)
- What is Phishing and How to Avoid the Bait YouTube video (4:21)
- Every Day Introduction video with permission by OnGuardOnline.gov
- ID Theft Prevention Tips music video (0:45)
21t4s Documents & Quizzes