Q9 Actions Can Hurt or Help
It’s time to think about our own actions, and how the actions of others can have an impact on us, and the importance of taking action for ourselves and for others. This is the last step in this Stop the Bully and CyberSafety Projects.
I Can Statements
- be a good digital citizen
- take positive action steps for myself and for others
A good digital citizen: A good digital citizen demonstrates and practices safe, responsible, and legal use of technology.
A positive digital citizen: is someone who understands the rights and responsibilities that come with being online and someone who uses their technology in a positive way.
Outcome: An outcome is a result or consequence.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode".
Note: This activity is best done with partners, small groups, or the entire class, please check with your teacher.
1. Before watching the following video keep in mind the following questions:
- How did the bullying start in the first place?
- Why did Joe resist telling adults in his life about what he was experiencing?
- If you were on the bus when Joe was being made fun of, what could you have done?
2. If possible, PAUSE the video at 4:34 (end of the bus scene) and reflect about the questions above, and/or discuss the questions above as a class before continuing to the Last Part of the Video.
*Remember to try to pause the YouTube video at the end of the bus scene.
3. Discuss the following after the video ends:
- Why were the police called to the school at the end?
- The ending is a bit abrupt: one minute Joe is being mistreated by his friends, the next they are all friends again.
- What do you think happened during that time to resolve this?
4. What could you do if something like this happened to you?
- Who could you tell?
- Make two lists for your action ideas,
1. actions you could take that are not acceptable (tell why),
2. actions you could take that would have a positive outcome
- (Optional) Role-play a few situations that have happened to you, or to someone else you know. Act out several actions that could be taken to deal with the situation, with a negative result, and with a positive outcome.
Video information: Song: Still Fighting It, Artist: Ben Folds, Album: Original Album Classics, Writers: Ben Folds, Licensed to YouTube by: SME (on behalf of Epic/Legacy); UBEM, BMG Rights Management, PEDL, Warner Chappell, CMRRA, Abramus Digital, ARESA, and 9 music rights societies
5. Think about the video and the lists you and your class have created. Talk with your instructor and create (video, poster, recording) or write something (poem, story, blog post, rap) that expresses how you feel about bullying and/or what you think you should do about it as a good and positive digital citizen.
Share your artifact with your teacher or class.
Completing this Quest
I created an artifact in step five, and became a supportive digital citizen who makes positive and safe choices when encountering any type of bullying.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
c. Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property