Q4 App Creator
In this Quest, you will create your own cell phone application. Watch the built-in tutorials to learn how to create an app.
Emulator: An emulator is a program or device that permits programs written for one kind of computer to be used on another kind of device.
Application: An application is a program designed to perform a specific function directly for the user.
I Can Statement
- create my own cell phone application
NOTICE & REQUEST
We are seeking alternative free app maker programs for this Quest.
***Please let us know if you have one that you recommend!
Important Notice about recent changes to AppMakr: It will no longer let new users make new mobile phone apps for free. You can edit apps you made in the past but you can't make new ones. The company said they aren't supporting it, nor the school site any longer.
Alternatives we are currently exploring:
1. appypie (can only edit it for the first 48 hours)
Steps: To be edited when a new app is identified.
1. Go to ____________(looking for one to recommend) to create your app for your IOS, Android, Windows Phone, Windows and HTML5 compatible device. Create a free account. The free option will allow you to create an app, but will not allow you to publish it. This exercise will teach you how to create an app that will only open in your browser. Someday, on your own, you may choose to publish your app creation at a cost.
Create an App
2. Using _______ you are going to create an app to show others about the great things at your school or community.
3. Features that you should include are:
- Link to your school or community web site
- Map where your school or community are located
- Your local weather
- Insert a link to http://mel.org (Michigan eLibrary)
- Insert a link to http://easybib.com (Citation Tool)
Upload a document that you have created in one of your classes. Make sure to take off any information that could identify you, like your last name.
4. First thing you will be asked to do is to name your project. Since you will all be doing the same project, you will need to name it your first name>name of school. If there is more than one person in your class with the same first name, your teacher will assign you a number after your name.
Adding Features to App
5. Next you will begin adding features by dragging and dropping them over to the phone emulator in _______
These may be changed once we have a new program to recommend.
6. After dragging and dropping the website icon (from Common Functions) to the phone emulator in the middle, click on it and Specs/Info and Video Help will open. You must name your website icon in "Link Title" and then hit your tab key and another box will open where you will type the URL. (If you need more assistance use the Video Help)
7. Next drag and drop the icon for weather (from News and Blogs). Click on it so the Specs/Info box opens so you can type the City Name of your school.
8. Drag and drop the icon for maps (from Locations). Click on it so the Specs/Info box opens and type your school address.
9. Drag and drop the icon for Documents (from Common Functions). Click on it so the Specs/Info box open and upload a document that you have created in one of your classes. Make sure to take off any information that could identify you like your last name.
10. Drag and drop two more website icons and type in the URLs for Michigan eLibrary and Easy Bib.
Preview Your App
These directions may be edited for a different app.
11. Now you are ready to Preview your App. Click on Live Preview on the bottom of the phone emulator in the middle. Test each of your icons. If one does not work, go back to Specs/Info to make sure you typed everything correctly.
12. Once you feel your App is created click on Next to go to Step three in AppMakr. You will have to type information under the 10 different areas under Step three. It will ask you for Contact Information in the ninth area. For last name do not use your real last name. Type XXXX.
13. After you typed all the information that is needed in Step three, click on the Free Publish Option and if you have an Android Device, you will be able to use the URL provided to access the App. If you are on another device such as an iPad or iTouch, you are able to use the QR Code provided to view the App in a Browser on your device.
Completing this Quest
You have now had the experience of creating your own app. Share the published URL or QR code to your app with your teacher and store in your File Space.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
d. Manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online
4. Innovative Designer
a. know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
c. develop, test and refine prototypes as part of a cyclical design process