KEVA planks are about 1/4 inch thick, 3/4 inch wide and 4 1/2 inches long. Every piece is the same. Students build structures by simply stacking the planks. No glue, no connectors. They can be stacked upright which looks like it would be unstable as a house of cards, but even this type of structure is surprisingly stable. Unlike other construction sets, KEVA planks inspire creativity but not permanency. Students are less reluctant to take KEVA planks apart and reuse them for the next project. KEVA planks are made of durable wood and easy to clean up - simply throw all of them in a bin.
Appropriate for Grades: K-12
Adding Value by Adding KEVA Planks
Verbal skills and communication are enhanced as students construct projects together. Students must discuss their plans for the project and their new ideas as the project unfolds. Many structures follow a repeating pattern that encourages students to work together to make better progress. Any changes to the pattern require communication. Technical and artistic language is needed to build a project together. KevaTalk is a game specifically designed to teach technical communication.
KEVA planks are an important step to computers and technology, despite being non-electronic. They provide students with the opportunity to build real 3D models with their own hands, allowing them to understand how to compare quantities and analyze three-dimensional objects.
Early exploration with simple blocks builds a subconscious understanding of mathematics and physics. Children learn balance, equality even geometry as they play. By handling the planks, they build a concrete
understanding of numbers and how numbers interrelate. Recent studies confirm that children who actively play with blocks do better when they attempt higher mathematics such as algebra and calculus.
- The Introduction to KEVA Planks EduPaths course guides you through how to incorporate KEVA Planks into your classroom activities. During the “20 Block Challenge: Build It High” activity students are challenged to use a variety of stacking techniques to build a tall structure. .5 SCECHs.
- Five fun engineering challenges for kids to do with KEVA Planks.
- A collection of ideas for structured activities using KEVA Planks.
- Lessons and tips for beginners on helping kids of varying ages get started building with KEVA Planks.
- Lesson plans using KEVA Planks in mathematics, science, language arts, social studies and art.
- STEM Anytime, Anyplace is packed with simple open ended challenges using KEVA Planks. Enough ideas for a full year.
- Using KEVA planks for teaching STEM concepts to children of any age or skill level.
- Teaching art with KEVA Planks challenges focus on design, patterns and artistic expression.
For additional assistance with KEVA Planks or to try-before-you-buy, please contact your local REMC.