Maker to Math: Play with Math Through Sport
In 2017-2018, 46% of all Michigan third-grade students were deemed proficient in math. While in eighth grade only 34% of all students were proficient in math. In response to this, the REMC Association has created the Play with Math Through Sport project. The project offers one-day training for educators to learn how to incorporate sport in the teaching and learning of mathematics and grow the number of Michigan educators knowledgeable about how students can better understand and learn math in different, real-life ways.
The Play with Math Through Sport project builds on the REMC Association’s successful Classroom Maker project by incorporating new curricular connections.
The project objectives include:
- Design one-day regional workshops for educators where they will learn about teaching mathematics with sport themed materials such as Smart Balls and the Sphero Bolt app-enabled robot.
- Provide curriculum resources to training participants to assist with successful implementation in the classroom.
- Develop an online bank of lessons on the use of Smart Balls and the Sphero Bolt.
- Grow the number of Michigan educators knowledgeable about how students can learn math by play.
- Build additional support for curriculum integration of Maker concepts and skills.
Math is everywhere, yet many educators struggle with creative math lessons. Encouraging students to play with math helps educators improve teaching and help students engage in hands-on math. Attendees will create high quality, engaging instructional environments using the right tools and a plethora of resources to help students succeed.
- Participants receive one Sphero Bolt and one Dribble Up Smart Ball of their choice.
- REMCs participating in the training will receive a set of Dribble Up Smart Balls to add to their Classroom Maker kit.
- The one-day Maker to Math: Play with Math Through Sport workshop is free and offers 6 free SCECHs.
February 25 | 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Kalamazoo RESA (REMC 12 West)
1819 E. Milham Avenue, Portage, MI 49002
Ready to sign up as a participant? Online registration is available here.