What you are going to learn in this module:
1. Know how to discern between real and fake information
2. Know how to effectively research and evaluate information
3. Know which sites are the best for news as well as how to fact-check information
4. Understand cues to look for and which questions to ask to determine bias in reporting
5. Make connections with technology standards and best practice
6. Transfer the learning to professional practice by ensuring your students are smart consumers and producers of information
7. Transfer the learning to professional practice by stopping the cycle or chain of fake news
You will go through each of the steps in the independent learning unit. By the end of this unit, you will have created at least one lesson plan or activity to use with your students. Please visit the Final Assignment page first for instructions and complete the checklist as you complete all the steps in this unit.
Note: This unit should take no longer than 10 hours
Move on to Fake or Real
Addressing the ISTE Standards For Educators
1a. Set professional learning goals to explore and apply pedagogical approaches made possible by technology and reflect on their effectiveness.
1c. Stay current with research that supports improved student learning outcomes, including findings from the learning sciences.
2b. Advocate for equitable access to educational technology, digital content and learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of all students.
2c. Model for colleagues the identification, exploration,
evaluation, curation and adoption of
new digital resources and tools for learning.
3a. Create experiences for learners to make positive, socially responsible contributions and exhibit empathetic behavior online that build relationships and community.
3b. Establish a learning culture that promotes curiosity and critical examination of online resources and fosters digital literacy and media fluency.
3c. Mentor students in safe, legal and ethical practices with digital tools and the protection of intellectual rights and property.
3d. Model and promote management of personal data and digital identity and protect student data privacy.