Maker to Math: Play with Math Through Sport
In 2017-2018, 46% of all Michigan third-grade students were deemed proficient in math. While in eighth grade only 34% of all students were proficient in math. In response to this, the REMC Association has created the Play with Math Through Sport project. The project offers one-day training for educators to learn how to incorporate sport in the teaching and learning of mathematics and grow the number of Michigan educators knowledgeable about how students can better understand and learn math in different, real-life ways.
The Play with Math Through Sport project builds on the REMC Association’s successful Classroom Maker project by incorporating new curricular connections.
The project objectives include:
- Design one-day regional workshops for educators where they will learn about teaching mathematics with sport themed materials such as Smart Balls and the Sphero Bolt app-enabled robot.
- Provide curriculum resources to training participants to assist with successful implementation in the classroom.
- Develop an online bank of lessons on the use of Smart Balls and the Sphero Bolt.
- Grow the number of Michigan educators knowledgeable about how students can learn math by play.
- Build additional support for curriculum integration of Maker concepts and skills.
Math is everywhere, yet many educators struggle with creative math lessons. Encouraging students to play with math helps educators improve teaching and help students engage in hands-on math. Attendees will create high quality, engaging instructional environments using the right tools and a plethora of resources to help students succeed.
- Participants receive one Sphero Bolt and one Dribble Up Smart Ball of their choice.
- REMCs participating in the training will receive a set of Dribble Up Smart Balls to add to their Classroom Maker kit.
- The one-day Maker to Math: Play with Math Through Sport workshop is free and offers 6 free SCECHs.
November 7 | 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Washtenaw ISD (REMC 16)
1819 South Wagner Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1406
December 3 | 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Lenawee ISD (REMC 19 West)
4107 N. Adrian Highway, Adrian, MI 49221
February 25 | 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
Kalamazoo RESA (REMC 12 West)
1819 E. Milham Avenue, Portage, MI 49002
Ready to sign up as a participant? Online registration is available here.
Play with Math through Sport Contacts
Maker to Math: Play with Math Through Sport 8:30 AM to 3:00 PMMaker to Math: Play with Math Through SportDate: Feb 25Time: 8:30 AM to 3:00 PMLocation: Kalamazoo RESA, 1819 E. Milham Avenue Portage, MICost: FreeCalendar: Play with Math Through Sport
Math is everywhere. Many educators struggle with being creative in math lessons. Having students play with math, will help educators improve their teaching and help students be engaged with hands-on, fun, math. Attendees will be able to improve math learning through play and have the opportunity to create high quality, engaging instructional environments where they will have the right tools and a rich source of information to help with their students success. Each training participant will receive one Sphero Bolt and one Dribble Up Smart Ball of their choice.