Just the Facts
Safe Searching Online
It is important that students learn how to search safely online. Students will get an introduction to safe search engines, including MeL (Michigan e-Library.org), to find ways to search safely for information. Students will also review how using key effective keywords will give them better results.
- Be able to know the importance of using reliable sites to find information.
- Be able to review how to narrow their searches down using key words.
- Be exposed to various websites including MeL Library.
- Be able to explore websites.
Search: To search is to look for information on the internet.
Reliable: Information or sites worthy of trust are reliable.
Keywords: Keywords are the words you use to search for information about a topic.
Results: Results are what are produced during a search based on keywords.
- Watch video on searching
- Watch How to Use MeL (start at 12:15)
- To use MEL Kids, go to Mel library, select KIDS, then select HOMEWORK HELPERS to get to the databases. Get acquainted with MEL searches first before demonstrating. Good databses to show are Encyclopedia Britannica School (Elementary) , World Book Kids, InfoBits
- Show video on safe searching.
- Review with students the importance of using reliable websites for research.
- Teacher will choose the databases and demonstrate how to use them.
- Others to consider (time permitting)
- Check for understanding
- Exit ticket: Have students explore. Give students a topic. Have them find 1-2 facts on given topic using sites given. Have them cite where their information came from. (Students may not have been shown how to properly cite a source yet. Students should at least indicate where they found their information. )
3a. Students plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits.
3c. Students curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts that demonstrate meaningful connections or conclusions.
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
Devices and Resources
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
- Create a “How To” poster for searches.
- Research an artifact in art.
- Research music and/or musicians.
- Research theater and theatrical productions.
- Research a math concept.
- Research animals and their habitats.
- Research a state or a country.
This task card was created by Courtney Conley, Utica Community Schools, January 2018.