Finding the Main Idea
Sometimes finding the main idea of a story can be a challenge. Once the student understands the main idea, they begin to read for understanding. The website Room Recess provides an activity for students to be actively engaged in reading and finding the main idea.
- Be able to read the short story then select the correct main idea.
- Main Idea: The main idea is the point of the paragraph. It is the most important thought about the topic.
To prepare for this lesson:
Introduce the students to what is the meaning of the main idea.
Watch the Room Recess Main Idea video as a class and discuss it.
Introduce students to the Room Recess website and go over the procedures.
View this view on the Main Idea and Details.
View the article on the Main Idea.
See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
Directions for this activity:
- The students watch the informational video that explains the main idea.
- The student selects a tablet or PC for which they are using.
- The student reads the short story on the website.
- The student selects which tree has the main idea.
- The student score is listed in the left-hand corner.
Different options for assessing the students:
- Check for understanding
- Create a locate a Kahoot on the main idea.
- Hold a small group or whole-class discussion.
- Exit tickets after reading a short story.
MITECS Competencies & ISTE STANDARDS
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
1a. Students articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes.
1b. Students build networks and customize their learning environments in ways that support the learning process.
1c. Students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways.
1d. Students understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies.
Devices and Resources
Device: PC, Chromebook, Mac, iPad
Browser: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, ALL
App, Extension, or Add-on:
Main Idea song
Room Recess Directions Video
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Students write their own short stories and exchange with another student to find the main idea.
The Ultimate Main Idea song to listen to.
This task card was created by Julie Hoehing, Lake Shore Public Schools. February 2020.