The students will use AbcYa! Story Maker to create a published writing piece along with a digital artifact that demonstrates learning of a concept.
- Be able to type a report on a topic
- Be able to draw a picture to go with the topic.
Edit: To edit is to prepare for publication or presentation by correcting, revising, or adapting.
Revise: To revise is the act of rewriting something.
Publish-1 :To publish is to bring printed works (as books) before the public usually for sale. 2 : Publish is also to print (as in a magazine or newspaper).
To prepare for this activity:
PREVIOUS TO THIS ACTIVITY:
- Students learn the writing process and draft a writing piece.
- Students researched a topic (animal, place, etc.)
- Students have taken three-five notes on the topic.
- Students have a rough draft copy of their work.
- View the Story Maker video tutorial.
- The teacher will decide if the students need to save final project accordingly or print the final piece.
See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
Directions for this activity:
- Say to students:
- "We have visited the writing process and now we are ready to complete and publish our final piece.”
- “ Today you will have the opportunity to word process your final piece demonstrating what you learned about ______________.”
- You will demonstrate Story Maker.
- Model the lesson showing students how to word process and add additional pages.
- Model drawing the art to coincide with the writing.
- Demonstrate how to save or print their artifact.
Different options for assessing the students:
- Check for understanding
- Storymaker Published Rubric
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
6b. Students create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations.
6c Students communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations.
6d Students publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.
Devices and Resources
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Students will retell a story in their own words.
Students will write a story about art or music.
Students will write a story about their favorite song or musician.
Students will explain how they solved a math problem/or create one.
The students create an animal report.
The students create a story of a famous person or a city/state/landform.
This task card was created by Courtney Conley, Utica Community Schools, April 2018.