Magic Tree House
Magic Tree House is a website that provides interactive games for students that connect to the Magic Tree House books. There is an easy level and a hard level. All activities are connected to the Magic Tree House books.
- Be able to read Magic Tree House books
- Be able to go to the Magic Tree House website and complete missions connected to Magic Tree House books.
- Mission: A mission is an important assignment
- Medallion: A medallion is a piece of jewelry in the shape of a medal, worn as a pendant.
To prepare for this lesson:
Teachers should log onto magictreehousekids.com and preview the website.
Teachers can sign up for a free account.
Under the teacher resource, you will find activities and lesson plans.
Watch the Magic Tree House Video.
Note: The teacher can create an account. You will be required to put your birth date in often. Teacher Resources contain a lot of great ideas and information.
See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
Directions for this activity:
- Go to magictreehouse.com
- Click on Mission Game
- Log in box appears, continue without logging in.
- Select a medallion or a card to play the mission.
- Confirm that you want to play the mission.
- Select an easy or hard level.
- Click to begin by following the prompts.
- As you answer the questions correctly you will receive puzzle pieces.
- When all questions have been answered the puzzle will need to be put together.
- Medallions are awarded for completion of puzzles.
- Challenging questions are asked at the end of a mission. If they are answered correctly your medallion will be upgraded.
Different options for assessing the students:
- Check for understanding
- Book Reports
- Exit Tickets
- Chart with awarded medallions
MITECS Competencies & ISTE STANDARDS
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
1a. Students articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes.
1b. Students build networks and customize their learning environments in ways that support the learning process.
1c. Students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways.
1d. Students understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies.
Devices and Resources
Device: PC, Chromebook, Mac, iPad
Browser: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, ALL
App, Extension, or Add-on:
Magic Tree House
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
- Read Magic Tree House books independently, small group or whole class.
- Book Reports
Create posters of Magic Tree House Books.
STEM activities provided in Teacher Resources.
- Students learn about different countries and areas around the world.
- Students can do quick research using an online encyclopedia like Encyclopedia Britannica or World Book to learn more about the area in the book.
This task card was created by Julie Hoehing, Lake Shore Public Schools, January 2020.