You Are Your Words
It is important for all students to express themselves in a positive way. This activity has the students creating a Word Cloud with words about themselves. A Word Cloud is an image composed of words used in a particular text or subject, in which the size of each word indicates its frequency or importance. The students will type at least eight to ten words to describe themselves and the result will be a neat looking image that they can print and share with others.
- Be able to create a Word Cloud.
- Understand what a Word Cloud is.
- Be able to express themselves through the use of a Word Cloud.
- Be able to type at least eight to ten words describing themselves.
- Word Cloud: A Word Cloud is an image composed of words used in a particular text or subject, in which the size of each word indicates its frequency or importance.
- Express: To express is to demonstrate your thoughts in words or images.
- See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
- The teacher can have the students type the words into a word processing tool to catch spelling mistakes. The students can then copy and paste the text into ABCYA.
Directions for this activity:
- The teacher will decide a topic for the students to use to express it with their own words.
- The students can type words about themselves.
- The students can type words about an event.
- The students can type words to demonstrate an understanding of a topic.
- The students can practice their spelling words.
- The teacher will have the students open up ABCYA on their device. The students do not need a login and password to use ABCYA.
- The teacher can either have the students type the words into a word processor first to catch spelling mistakes or type into ABCYA.
- The teacher will explain if they use the same word multiple times the word will be larger than the others. This could be a word/s that is more meaningful.
- The teacher will show them how to use ABCYA to randomize, change the layout, color, and font.
- The students will create their Word Cloud,
- The students will save (download) and/or print the Word Cloud.
Different options for assessing the students:
- Check for understanding
- A simple rubric can be created by the teacher to assess spelling and layout. If the teacher is using this resource as a way for them to convey understanding of a topic, this can be added to the rubric.
MITECS COmpetencies & ISTE STANDARDS
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
6a. Students choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.
6b. Students create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations.
6c. Students communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations.
6d. Students publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.
Devices and Resources
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Students practice their spelling.
Students express the main ideas of a story.
Students use Word Clouds to express themselves creatively in art class.
Students create Word Clouds on science terms.
Students create Word Clouds to describe historical events.
This task card was created by Melissa White, 21 Things Project Manager, REMC Association of Michigan, February 2018. Updated November 2021.