Greater Than, Less Than, Equals To
The Starfall greater than, less than, equal to game is a great option for number comparison, counting, and number identification in a steady, consistent format. This game is a great option for independent center practice, whole group instruction, or small group instruction. The game format is slow and provides explicit explanations for students to grasp each step. If students select an incorrect response, the selected icon will shake to tell the student it is incorrect. Once the correct answer is selected, it automatically moves to complete the problem.
- Be able to count with one-to-one correspondence.
- Be able to identify which group has more, less, or if they are equal.
- Be able to verbally explain the math problem.
- Greater than: Greater than is one of the terms used to show the relationship between two values. It states that one value is greater than the other. The sign for greater than is > and with this metric, we can compare numbers, weights, heights, and values.
- Less than: Less than is one of the terms used to show the relationship between two values. It states that one value is lesser than the other. The sign for less than is < and with this metric, we can compare numbers, weights, heights, and values.
- Equal to: Equal to is being the same in quantity, size, degree, or value.
- Solve: To solve is to find an answer to, explanation for, or means of effectively dealing with (a problem or mystery).
To prepare for this lesson:
Expose students to the terminology and process of comparing numbers. Watch the video Comparing Numbers - Greater Than Less Than.
Verify that students have a strong understanding of 1 to 1 correspondence.
If using for assessment, collect baseline data.
Optional: Show students The Greater Than, Less Than Song.
See Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students.net site in the Teacher Resources.
Directions for this activity:
Have the students begin the activity Starfall’s Comparing Numbers Game
Provide manipulatives for students to use as an additional visual and tactile resource through this activity.
Make sure your computer speakers or headphones are connected for the best game quality.
Student Directions for this activity:
Count the items on each side.
Review the symbols for greater than, less than, equal to.
Count how many items have been provided on each side.
Select the correct symbol to answer the problem.
Complete this task five times to finish the game.
Different options for assessing the students:
- Check for understanding
MITECS Competencies & ISTE Standards
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
1a. Students develop learning goals in collaboration with an educator, select the technology tools to achieve them and revise the learning process as needed to achieve the goal.
1c. Students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways.
Devices and Resources
App, Extension, or Add-on:
The app can be located at:
Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
The app is free to download and compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. This particular game is free without membership. Additional games and options are available through Starfall with a membership. Membership options include Home membership for $35.00/year, Teacher membership for $70.00/year, Classroom membership for $150.00/year or School Membership for $270.00/year.
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Practicing recognizing math words - greater than, less than, equal to.
Counting, Number identification, comparing numbers.
Talk about weights using manipulatives to mirror the problem.
This task card was created by Lisa Cleveland, Jackson ISD, August 2020.