Shh, Don't Tell
What kinds of information is okay to share online? This task will teach students why they should NEVER share personal information on the computer, including passwords.
- Understand why it important to keep personal information private when going online.
- Be able to identify personal information.
- Understand why passwords are important when using digital devices.
- Understand why it is important not to share their passwords.
- Password: A password is a secret picture, word or set of words that are needed to log into computers and/or websites.
Protect: To protect is to keep something safe.
See the Accommodations Page and Charts on the 21things4students website in the Teacher Resources.
This is a very introductory activity to teach Kindergartners about being safe on the Internet.
- Have a discussion about privacy and how certain information should never be shared with others online.
- Phone number
- Birth date
- Go over the vocabulary with them.
- Have them watch the Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck video
Optional: Show them the Timon and Pumba video
MITECS Competencies & ISTE Standards
MITECS: Michigan adopted the "ISTE Standards for Students" called MITECS (Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students) in 2018.
2b. Students engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices.
2c. Students demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property.
2d. Students manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online.
1d. Students understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies.
Devices and Resources
Device: PC, Chromebook, Mac, iPad
Browser: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, ALL
Bugs Bunny and Daffy
CONTENT AREA RESOURCES
Have the students create a song about staying safe on the Internet.
This task card was created by Courtney Conley, Utica Community Schools, January 2018. Updated October 2023.