Q1 Fire Rescue
Your task for this Quest is to use a technology tool to create a graphic organizer and brainstorm solutions and create a plan for organizing a relief effort to help a family who has lost their home.
I Can Statements
- create a graphic organizer
- use a graphic organizer to brainstorm a project or presentation
To explore your solution, apply a problem-solving strategy of Who-What-Where-When-Why-How.
Sample planning items might include:
- who would attend
- what the event would be
- when it would occur
- where it will be held
- why are you having the event
- how will you organize the supplies/people/funds
To be successful in this task, you will need to consider everything from activities, supplies, food, clothing and volunteers that are needed. Start by experimenting with the formatting tools within the graphic organizer. Try out the different digital features for color and text as you organize your ideas.
Tutorials are provided in the steps below.
At the conclusion you will need to create an image capture (screen shot) and save it to your File Space to submit or share with your teacher.
Brainstorm: A quick activity to come up with a lot of ideas about something without evaluating them.
Graphic organizer: A graphic organizer is a visual and graphic display that depicts the relationships between facts, terms and or ideas withing a learning task. Graphic organizers are also sometimes referred to as concept maps, story maps, advanced organizers, storyboards, or concept diagrams.
Visual map: The use of pictures to help you solve problems, think about complex issues and communicate more effectively.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Link
Open this to see why a graphic organizer might be helpful
Graphic organizers are great for:
- Learning and organizing things visually
- Note taking by using pictures, memes, links, and formatting
- Story boarding for stories, writing essays, creating videos or other project planning
- Memorizing things for a test
- Keeping track of lots of links to favorite resources
- Reorganize and simplify complex things
1. Explore one of these graphic organizer tools to create your visual map.
- Canva has free online graphic organizer templates for students to use.
- Students can take a screenshot of their organizer to share with their teacher.
- To share an organizer online or by email students will have to create an account. Note: Some designs cannot be downloaded unless they are paid for.
- Watch this short video tutorial to learn how to create a quick graphic organizer using one of the Canva templates.
- Bubbl.us is free, but requires a (Google or Facebook account) or login with an email address.
- Watch this training video to learn how to use Bubbl,us
2. Create a graphic organizer of your brainstormed ideas and plans to help the family who has lost their home to the fire.
3. When you are done, create an image capture (screenshot) of your graphic organizer or share (use the options in the program) the finished product with your teacher.
4. Save it to your File Space and/or submit it per teacher instructions.
BONUS Fun: Create a Meme (using Adobe Spark) for this activity and then add it to your brainstorming document.
Completing this Quest
In order to complete this Quest, create an image capture (screenshot) of your graphic organizer and save it to your File Space. Make sure to have a meeting with your teacher about your File Space. This is extremely important that you have access to your file. You may need this in a future Quest.
Check this Quest off your 21t4s roadmap
I have completed this Quest and I am ready to tackle Quest 2
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
3. Knowledge Constructor
c. curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods
5. Computational Thinker
b. Collect data or identify relevant data sets
6. Creative Communicator
c. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
Websites and Documents
Videos From Outside Sources
21t4s Documents & Quizzes