Quest 1 Michigan eLibrary
Your teacher has asked you to find the most reliable sources to visit and
to conduct your own research on the U.S. Constitution.
First, you will visit the Michigan eLibrary to do your research on the
U.S. Constitution. Note: If you live in a state other than Michigan, check your State, Public or School Library for the same or similar databases to complete the steps below.
Boolean logic: Boolean logic refers to a system of logical thought developed by
the English mathematician and computer pioneer, George Boole (1815-64)
and is used when searching on the Internet.
Branch: The division of government is divided into executive, legislative,
and judicial branches.
I Can Statements
- find the most reliable resources to use when I do research
- use an online database (like those in mel.org)
- use an online dictionary to look up definitions
- use a search engine
- filter and narrow down results using Boolean Logic
1. Let's learn how to a proper search so that when you search
the databases in mel.org you are finding the most appropriate
information without spending too much time on your search.
3. Watch this video
to help you learn how to use Boolean logic to narrow down
Check out this interactive tutorial on how to use and/or/not to
refine your searches.
Ebsco Primary Search
4. Go to mel.org and click on eResources to quickly find Primary Search with Ebscohost.
5. Go to the Primary Search Ebscohost database and using the Advanced Search
type in U.S. Constitution and three branches.
6. Using the resources you found, answer the following questions
using a word processing document.
- What three branches were created by the Constitution?
- Which branch of government makes the country's laws?
- In which branch would legal disputes be settled?
7. Next go to Dictionary.com to look up and listen to the definitions
of the following words and write the correct definition as it relates
to the U.S. Constitution in your document.
8. Reread the definitions of assemble.
9. Go to Britannica School in Michigan eLibrary and find images to depict
both meanings of the word assemble.
10. Copy or screenshot the two images as well as the picture title and
caption into your document. Save your document in your File Space.
Completing this Quest
After you have searched mel.org, used Dictionary.com and
completed your assignments you are ready for the next Quest.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Go to Quest 2 Safe Searching
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
b. evaluate the accuracy, perspective, credibility and relevance of information, media, data or other resources
c. curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts or solving authentic problems
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience