Quest 1 Michigan eLibrary
Your teacher has asked you to find the most reliable sources to visit and
to conduct your own research on the U.S. Constitution.
First, you will visit the Michigan eLibrary to do your research.
Note: If you live in a state other than Michigan, check your location for Public or School Libraries for the same or similar databases to complete the steps below.
I Can Statements
- find the most reliable resources to use when I do research
- use an online database (like those in mel.org)
- use an online dictionary to look up definitions
- use a search engine
- filter and narrow down results using Boolean Logic
Boolean logic: A system of logical thought developed by the English mathematician and computer pioneer, George Boole (1815-64), and is used when searching on the Internet.
Branch: The division of government into executive, legislative,and judicial branches.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary. After practicing your vocabulary from this Quest, move on Boolean Logic below.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Link
1. Let's learn how to do a proper search so that when you search
the databases in mel.org you are finding the most appropriate
information without spending too much time on your search.
2. Watch this video
to help you learn how to use Boolean logic to narrow down
Ebsco Primary Search
3. Go to mel.org and click on eResources to quickly find Primary Search with Ebscohost.
4. Go to the Primary Search Ebscohost database and using the Advanced Search
type in U.S. Constitution and three branches.
5. Using the resources you found, answer the following questions
using this Assignment Template. You will use it for the rest of this Quest.
- What three branches were created by the Constitution?
- Which branch of government makes the country's laws?
- In which branch would legal disputes be settled?
6. Next go to Dictionary.com to look up and listen to the definitions
of the following words and write the correct definition as it relates
to the U.S. Constitution in your document.
7. Reread the definitions of assemble.
8. Go to Britannica School in Michigan eLibrary (Under eResources) and find images to depict both meanings of the word assemble.
9. Copy or screenshot the two images as well as the picture title and
caption into your document. Save your document in your File Space.
Completing this Quest
After you have searched mel.org, used Dictionary.com and
completed your assignments you are ready for the next Quest.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Go to Quest 2 Safe Searching
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
b. Evaluate the accuracy, perspective, credibility and relevance of information, media, data or other resources
c. Curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts or solving authentic problems
Websites and Documents
Videos from Outside Sources
- How to Use MeL Intro Video (Close Caption translation to Arabic and Spanish included)
21t4s Documents & Quizzes