In this Quest, you will explore and analyze the use of different software applications used to create a digital object or artifact.
I Can Statements
- know there are different media tools for communicating an idea
- understand the advantages and disadvantages of using different media tools
- select an appropriate tool to deliver a message
Application Type: Application type is a software applications that are grouped into categories around similar tasks performed (e.g., slide show, word processing, animation, video, etc.).
Digital Artifact: A digital artifact is any product or asset that is digital (e.g. infographic, video, a selfie photo).
Media: Media is the different ways used to communicate information (e.g. billboards, newspapers, TV, flyers, radio, etc.).
Platform: A platform is the way the digital object is delivered (e.g. as on a blog, through a YouTube video, in a slideshow presentation, an online poster, in a social media site, etc.)
Software Application: A software application is a specific software program designed to perform a set of programmed tasks (e.g. PowerPoint, WeVideo, PhotoShop, etc.).
Play the interactive Quizlet Game: Direct Link
When you communicate it's important to consider the best way to deliver your message, and who your audience is. There are advantages and disadvantages to using different products to communicate a message effectively.
In Quest three, you (and hopefully working with a classmate or small group) will create a project proposal and identify some of the software applications you will be using to communicate your ideas.
1. Check with your teacher about working with a small group of three or four classmates.
2. One member of your group needs to copy and/or download the Analysis of Digital Artifact Chart.
3. Work quickly through each of the nine examples provided, filling in the following three parts:
- main message
- rate how well the digital artifact communicates the idea (1-5 with five for very effective)
- explain the reason(s) why you gave that rating
4. After you have looked at all of the examples and seen examples of the different type of artifacts created using the applications, complete the last two items for each one:
List three or more types of school assignments the application software would be useful for
- Give an example of when the type of software might be a disadvantage to use for a school assignment
5. When your analysis is done make sure all of your names are on the document and check with your teacher about how to turn it in.
Completing this Quest
When you have finished the Analysis of a Digital Artifact Chart and accomplished the I Can statements at the top, you are ready to move on to the next Quest.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I am ready for Quest 2 The Main Idea
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
5. Computational Thinker
c. Break problems into component parts, extract key information, and develop descriptive models to understand complex systems or facilitate problem-solving
6. Creative Communicator
a. Students choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.