Q6. Branding Yourself
Direct link to YouTube video
Video Resumé Example: If this is not viewable, please have your teacher add this to the Youtube education filter.
Now that you understand the basics about career searching, it is time to create your own video resumé (see example above). In this Quest, you will create a video that will be utilized as your video resumé. Each year you may choose to edit the video and update the video resumé just as you would with a paper resumé. The end product will be a video resumé that can be used for college entrance and/or future employment opportunities.
Video resumé: A video resumé is a way for job seekers to showcase their abilities beyond the capabilities of a traditional paper resumé. The video resumé allows prospective employers to see and hear applicants, and get a feel for how applicants present themselves.
Storyboard: A storyboard is a planning device used to visually sketch out the actions of a story.
I Can Statements
- plan(storyboard) a video before I produce it
- record and produce a professional video resumé
1. Begin with watching some examples of video resumés. See the video above and check out these examples: Hayden
Information to be included must be the following:
- Introduction: Introduce yourself
- Brief History: Include examples of your past experiences & skills
- Leadership Experience
- Your Talents
- Work Experience
- Extra Curricular Participation
- You: What makes you unique or amazing to work with - include your future plans
3. Once you have gathered information for your video, you will create a storyboard. A storyboard is simply a planning device used to visually sketch out the actions of a story. It will help organize your thoughts and scenes for the video. It is a sequence of drawings and/or pictures with some directions and dialogue that represent the shots planned for your movie.
Your storyboard must be created and approved by your teacher before beginning video production.
Use an online source for the Storyboard - Storyboard That - or download a storyboard Word version or PDF version.
4. Once your storyboard is approved you are ready to record your video. Make sure you follow your sketch up from your storyboard. Please read the tips below for creating a professional video.
Tips to Help You Prepare a Professional Video Resumé
- Dress professionally
- Keep your video resumé short: one - three minutes.
- Look at the camera not at something above or below you
- Don't speak too fast
- Make sure there isn't background noise
5. Use your storyboard to guide you and record your video. Record using a smart phone, web cam/headset with microphone attached to a computer, or another platform shared by your teacher. Upload your video(s) to a video editing site and share your masterpiece!
- Check out Animoto or WeVideo to edit and finalize your video.
- If you want to add more, consider Playposit, Teachem, or Zaption.
- Or take a leap forward to Thing 17.Q3 learn how to use Screencasting applications
Your teacher should instruct you on the best option for you.
6. Share the link to your final product on your online presence/digital portfolio. Check with your teacher to find out about how to submit your work.
Completing this Quest
In order to complete this Quest, you must consult with your teacher about where your video should be download and stored.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
Websites and Applications
ISTE and Common Core Standards
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
c. Curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections or artifacts that demonstrate meaningful connections or conclusions
d. Build knowledge by actively exploring real-world issues and problems, developing ideas and theories and pursuing answers and solutions
6. Creative Communicator
c. Students communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.5 Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.