Q2 Interactive Investigations
Do you or a friend or classmate need help with understanding a subject? Use the following resources to locate an interactive activity to help explain or support the subject, like the virtual manipulative above. You can learn while you play!
Your task is to become familiar with on-line interactive sites that can help you learn. You will compare three sites to see if you can locate the video, audio, simulations, or other interactives that can help you learn.
I Can Statements
- define the types of interactive learning
- use resources to help me with homework
- use simulations, games, and mapping
- use mazes, manipulatives, and quizzes
Manipulatives: These are objects that provide a way for people to learn concepts in a developmentally appropriate, hands-on and experiential way.
Vertices: This is a point where two or more straight lines meet.
Play the Vocabulary Game to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Link
1. Select an activity from the Edheads Free interactives games listed below.
- Nano Startup (Grades 5-8)
- Manufacturing Technician (Grades 5-8)
2. As you play, use this Interactive Investigations Document to jot your notes and answer the questions in this Quest.
- something you learned that you didn't know before you played it.
- a personal reflection (was it fun, easy to play, did the time pass quickly, was it worth your time spent on it.
- would you recommend it to a classmate
3. Participate in a discussion with others (class, classmate) and share your notes.
4. Now that you have experienced some interactives, dig a little deeper. Select a topic that you are studying in school. Look at the following sets of resources that could support your learning, and select two or more to try out.
- Nova Labs: RNA Virtual Lab, The Cloud Lab, The Energy Lab, The Sun, Evolution
- PhET Simulations for Physics, Chemistry, Math, Earth Science, and Biology for Middle School
5. Write a brief review of the one you think would be the most useful to you in school. Include the information below.
- The name of the activity
- URL of the activity
- Topic you researched
- Two or three sentences describing the activity with a screenshot of it
- Two to four sentences telling why you recommend this activity and what you liked about it the most
Completing this Quest
Share your results in your File Space. Remember, if you are posting this on a blog or other website, don't put your address or any other personal information. Just share your results.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Proceed to Quest 3 Interactive Study Tools
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
c. Use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
c. Curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts or solving authentic problems