Q2 Interactive Investigations
Do you or a classmate need help with understanding a subject? Use the following resources to locate an interactive activity to help explain or support the subject, like the virtual manipulative above. You can learn while you play!
Your task is to become familiar with on-line interactive sites that can help you learn. You will compare three sites to see if you can locate video, audio, simulations, or other interactives that can help you learn.
Manipulatives: Manipulatives are objects that provide a way for children to learn concepts in a developmentally appropriate, hands-on and an experiencing way.
Vertices: Vertices are a point where two or more straight lines meet.
I Can Statements
- define the types of interactive learning
- use resources to help me with homework
- use simulations, games, and mapping
- use mazes, manipulatives, and quizzes
1. Select an activity from the Edheads Free interactives games listed below. These include areas such as technology in the Nano Startup, Technical skills in the Manufacturing Technician, or three medical games (Sickle Cell DNA, Trauma, and Virtual Hip Resurfacing).
- Nano Startup (Grades 5-8)
- Manufacturing Technician (Grades 5-8)
- Sickle Cell DNA (Grades 7-12+)
- Trauma (Grades 7-12+)
- Virtual Hip Resurfacing (Grades 7-12+)
2. As you play, jot down some notes:
- something you learned that you didn't know before you played it.
- a personal reflection (was it fun, easy to play, did the time pass quickly, was it worth your time spent on it.
- would you recommend it to a classmate
3. Participate in a discussion with others (class, classmate) and share your notes.
4. Now that you have experienced some interactives, dig a little deeper. Select a topic that you are studying in school (e.g., The Battle of Gettysburg, solar energy, scalene triangles, etc.). Look at the following sets of resources that could support your learning, and select two or more to try out.
- Investigate skeletons or build one or others from the
Interactive Learning Sites for Education (Math, ELA, Science, Social Studies, Brainteasers, Art, Music, Spanish, Typing, and Holidays)
- Nova Labs: RNA Virtual Lab, The Cloud Lab, The Energy Lab, The Sun, Evolution
5. Write a brief review of one you think would be the most useful to you in school. Include the information below. Post your information in the location your teacher specifies. This could be in a learning management system, on a blog, wiki, or other site to share your findings with your classmates.
- The name of the activity
- URL of the activity
- Topic you researched
- Two or three sentences describing the activity with a screenshot of it
- Two to four sentences telling why you recommend this activity and what you liked about it the most
Completing this Quest
Share your results in your File Space. Remember, if you are posting this on a blog or other website, don't put your address or any other personal information. Just share your results.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Proceed to Quest 3 Interactive Study Tools
Websites and Applications
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
c. Use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
Common Core Math Standards
Step 1 Lady Bug Maze
CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.6 Understand a rational number as a point on the number line. Extend number line diagrams and coordinate axes familiar from previous grades to represent points on the line and in the plane with negative number coordinates
CCSS.Math.Practice.MP4 Model with mathematics.
Common Core Science Standard
Step 2 Weather Activity
ESS 2.D Weather & Climate