Q1 Life Online
In this Quest, you will research how often teenagers text and use social media and if that has changed in the past ten years. You will look at your own patterns and those of your friends and determine the positives and negatives of easy access to information and social networking.
You will use this information to help you create your own social media (network) guidelines in an upcoming Quest.
I Can Statement
- explain social networking
Online behavior: Online behavior is the way a person acts online.
Social network: Social network is an online community of people who use a website or app to communicate with each other by sharing comments, images, videos, resources, etc. Common examples include Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
Play the interactive Quizlet Game: Direct Link
Did you know that in 2022 the average daily social media usage of internet users worldwide amounted to 147 minutes per day, up from 145 minutes in the previous year? (Daily Social Media Use) This means that the average Internet user spends a little more than two hours per day on social media.
We now have easy access to information because of the Internet but at the same time, we have increased distractions because of it. How many times do you go look for information and then find yourself distracted by a text from a friend or a funny and entertaining article?
In this Quest, we are going to explore what your life looks like online. How much time do you and your friends spend online with each other? How is this affecting your life and the lives of others?
You will use the Life Online Template document to document and answer questions. Make a copy for yourself and you will use this document throughout the rest of this Quest.
1. Watch this video Social Media, Social Life: Teens Reveal Their Experiences.
3. Now let's do a little research. We are going to find out how many texts are sent on average per day by teens and if this has risen in the past ten years.
4. Go to Google and research how many texts by teenagers were sent per day in 2010 on average and if that has increased or decreased throughout the years. Record your answer on the Life Online document. A good place to start is the PEW Research Center.
5. Next research what is the percentage of young Americans using social media? Record your answer. on the Life Online document.
6. Do you use social networking sites to stay connected to friends? Why or why not? As a class, you may have a conversation about this and/or record your answer on the Life Online document.
7. What do you like, or dislike, about the idea of having your own presence on the Internet? Using your Life Online document, answer question #5 and the following #6-#8 on the document.
8. Compare your notes with some of your classmates. In a small group, talk about how you each responded to the questions. Do you have similar or different answers? Record the similarities and differences on your Life Online document.
9. For fun, take this "Are You Addicted to Social Media" quiz. You will receive your score after you have completed it. How addicted are you?
Completing this Quest
You have completed this Quest after completing the I Can Statement and steps above. You will consider the new information you have learned when you work on your personal guidelines for using social networks in further Quests.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals when appropriate and to make choices on how to meet them, develop strategies using technology to achieve them and reflect on the learning process.
d. Understand the fundamental concepts (basics) of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology
c. Manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security
Websites and Documents
Videos from Outside Sources
21t4s Documents & Quizzes