The temptation to copy and paste content from the Internet is a reality for many people. Without proper citation of the work this practice is unethical, dishonest, and illegal. One way to check your work for original content rather than plagiarism is to utilize a plagiarism checker. In this Quest you will be checking content you copy from the Internet as well as your own work for originality vs. plagiarism.
I Can Statement
- check my work to ensure I have not plagiarized others' content
Plagiarism: Plagiarism is the practice of taking/copying someone else’s work or ideas and using that work as your own.
Plagiarism checker: A plagiarism checker is an online tool that searches the Internet to check for duplicated content/material.
Unethical: Unethical is behavior that is improper and not morally acceptable.
Play the interactive Quizlet Game: Direct Link
It is easy to plagiarize because it is so easy to copy and paste content from one thing to another. It is not appropriate though to plagiarize. In this exercise, we are going to have you copy and paste copyrighted content into a document and then use a tool that shows you how much you plagiarized.
Use this Originality vs. Plagiarized Template throughout this Quest.
1. Visit http://www.biography.com/people/martin-luther-king-jr-9365086 to find information on Martin Luther King Jr.
Martin Luther King Jr. Photographed by Marion S. Trikosko, 1964. LC-DIG-ppmsc-01629 Source: Library of Congress.
See more images at http://www.mlkonline.net/images.html#sthash.BB608Qmy.dpuf.
2. Copy four-five paragraphs of information on Martin Luther King Jr. This text will be used in the plagiarism checker.
3. Now let's check this information for original content.
4. Visit http://www.paperrater.com/plagiarism_checker and paste the copied content into the text box. Agree to the terms of service by checking the box and then click on get report.
5. When the results are completed take a screenshot of the results box on the right side.
6. In the Originality vs. Plagiarized Template reflect on the following questions:
Show the percentage of originality by pasting in the screenshot you just took and reflect on what the results tell you?
Now find a document you have created and check it for plagiarism using the PaperRater. Show the percentage of originality by pasting the screenshot in your document and reflect on what the results tell you. Do you have any original content or have you possibly copied some from the Internet?
Now that you have checked two documents for original content, add a paragraph to your current document on why sites such as PaperRater exist and why it could benefit you in the future?
Completing this Quest
Once you have run several documents through the plagiarism checker and have answered the questions, save the document to your File Space.
Check this Quest off the 21t4s roadmap
The following are YouTube videos from 2015 and 2018 that are Raps about Copying a Floppy (Floppy disc on Wikipedia). They can be fun to watch/listen to and bring about fun conversation about copyright and plagiarism.
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
c. demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property
6. Creative Communicator
a. Choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
c. Communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations
d. Publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences
Websites and Documents
- Floppy Disc on Wikipedia
- Library of Congress Pictures
- Martin Luther King Jr
- Martin Luther King Jr. Images
Videos from Other Sources
- "The Stupidest Rap - Don't Copy that Floppy" YouTube (funny & dated rap)
- Don't Copy that Floppy 2 YouTube
21t4s Documents & Quizzes