Q3 Quick Response
Find out about a QR code and how they can be helpful. Start with this YouTube video.
Important Note: You will need access to a smartphone or tablet device with a camera to complete the breakout activity and QR codes.
In this Quest, you are going to learn about QR codes, do a QR activity, and learn how to create a QR code which is a special type of two-dimensional bar code.
One reason they are so popular is that you can store a lot of information on a QR code, unlike a standard UPC barcode which is usually just a bunch of numbers and letters. Typically you use a smartphone or other mobile device to scan a QR code and it will display the code and convert it into something useful like a standard URL for a website.
I Can Statements
- create a QR code
scan a QR code to access information
QR Code: A QR code (quick response code) is a type of 2D bar code that is often used to provide access to information through a computing device with a camera.
Scan a code: to use a device (cell phone, tablet, computer) to take a digital image of something that can be converted to text, URL, or other information.
UPC Barcode: A UPC (Universal Product Code) is a twelve-digit barcode typically used in a retail store.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Link
1. Learn more by working with a partner, small group, or as a class to complete this QR Code Breakout Activity.
Note: If you are not familiar with a breakout activity open the content box on the right-hand side of this page to learn more.
Hint: After opening the Breakout page, notice the four images below the large picture, count how many of each image type you find to give you the 4 digit lock.
a. QR Stuff
b. QRmonkeycode-Free site to create a QR code
3. A suggested class activity is for each individual to figure out what is the most popular item others your age would like to purchase. Every year, it seems to be something different and so popular that it is difficult to buy because they sell out. Many years ago it was the Cabbage Patch Doll, then it was Beanie Babies, a couple of years ago it was the Wii, and then the iPad. What do you think will be the item this year? You can survey the students in your class or do a search on the Internet.
4. Decide on the item you feel is the most desired and locate a site that has a description of the item and shows where you can purchase it as well as the price. You may have to create one or more QR codes. Take a photo or screenshot of your QR code (s).
5. Check with your teacher on the best way to share your QR code with other classmates. You might want to vote as a class on the top 5 or 10 items.
Please be sure to tell us what you think of this Breakout Activity so that we can meet your needs. Teachers and Students please use this link for a very short survey about this breakout.
Get 100% on this Three-Question Knowledge Check below!
Completing this Quest
Once you have learned about QR codes, created a QR code, shared it as directed by your teacher, and taken the knowledge check, you are ready for have a thrill with roller coasters.
2.Q3 Sample Grading Rubric Template
Note for iPad users: Ask your teacher if there is a Scan App on your iPad. If there is then go ahead and scan the top image to see what the QR code reads.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed this Quest and I am ready for Quest 4
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
c. Use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information, media, data or other resources
6. Creative Communicator
b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
Websites and Documents
Videos From Outside Sources
- What is a QR Code? YouTube
- Breakout video: The Story of the QR Code YouTube
21t4s Breakout Challenge Activity
21t4s Documents & Quizzes
What is a Digital Breakout Activity?
A Digital Breakout may also be called a Digital Escape Room.
This is a web-based, game-like activity where students use clues to unlock a series of puzzles or activities to solve a challenge (or to escape a digital room).
Students frequently work together, (conference, or chat) as they work to locate and solve clues.
For additional help view this short video (3:44) showing how to use clues and hints to solve the Escape From Tech Basics located on the Thing 1.Basics Quest 8 page.