Watch this Introductory YouTube called "Green Glove".
For this Quest, you will be an inventor! You will first learn that technology solves a problem or changes how we interact with the world. You will then work in small groups to identify a problem and then develop an invention that solves that problem. Next, you will learn the basics of Tinkercad software by completing tutorials. Finally, you will create sketches and then create your invention in Tinkercad.
I Can Statements
- Explain how technology solves a problem or changes how we interact with the world
- Identify a problem and brainstorm ways to solve it
- Understand the basics of Tinkercad
- Use Tinkercad to create an invention
Technology: Technology is something that solves a problem and/or changes how we interact with the world. We can use technology to help us solve problems.
CAD: (Computer-aided design) The CAD software we are using will help us create our 3D inventions.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode". Direct link.
1. What is technology?
- With your partner go through the presentation “What is Technology?”
- Complete the What is Technology? Handout as you go.
2. Problem Solving
- Watch this video "The First Secret of Great Design" to get your ideas flowing.
- With your partner complete Part 2: Problem Solving on the TinkerCad Invention Quest Packet to brainstorm problems that you could possibly solve.
3. Invention Brainstorm
- What does your invention do, or what is its purpose?
- Brainstorm in part three of your packet.
- Be sure to list all of your ideas first no matter how weird they might seem, then each select one to sketch.
- Sketch your design idea for your invention in part four of your packet.
- You and your partner can have different designs.
5. Tinkercad tutorials
- Using your Tinkercad Invention Quest packet complete part five.
- Check off steps and complete the lessons as you go.
- Check in with your teacher before going on to part six.
6. Design your invention in Tinkercad
- Use Tinkercad to recreate your invention.
- Refer to part six in your packet for project requirements and check them off as you work.
Completing this Quest
To complete this Quest you will need to complete the steps above and complete step seven in your packet. Review the Quest rubric and then click share in Tinkercad.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Competencies and Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
a. articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes.
c. use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways.
d. understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies.
3. Knowledge Constructor
d. build knowledge by actively exploring real-world issues and problems, developing ideas and theories and pursuing answers and solutions.
4. Innovative Designer
a. know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems.
b. select and use digital tools to plan and manage a design process that considers design constraints and calculated risks.
c. develop, test and refine prototypes as part of a cyclical design process.
d. exhibit a tolerance for ambiguity, perseverance and the capacity to work with open-ended problems.
5. Creative Communicator
a. choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.
b. create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations.
c. communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations.
d. publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.
Websites and Documents
Videos from Outside Sources
- First Secret of Great Design YouTube
- Introductory Green Gloves YouTube
- TinkerCAD for Tech Camp YouTube
- Welcome to TinkerCAD and Beginning Lessons YouTube
21t4s Documents & Quizzes