Q2 Thrill Rides
You have been selected by your teacher to carry out an investigation named, Operation Thrill Rides. You will travel to an amusement park (virtually) and investigate the rides. You will use the graphic organizer to categorize and identify 10 rides at the park by thrill level from 1 to 5 (the most thrilling) that you would want to ride.
I Can Statements
- create a graphic organizer
- use a graphic organizer to organize information
Graphic organizer: A graphic organizer is a visual and graphic display that depicts the relationships between facts, terms, and or ideas within a learning task. Graphic organizers are also sometimes referred to as concept maps, story maps, advance organizers, storyboards, or concept diagrams.
Organize: Arrange things in some order, putting related things together or by similarities
Visual map: A visual map is the use of pictures to help you solve problems, think about complex issues, and communicate more effectively.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Link
1. You will travel to an amusement park (virtually) and investigate the rides. You will use a graphic organizer to categorize and identify 10 rides at the park by thrill level from 1 to 5 (the most thrilling) that you would want to ride.
3. Virtually visit the Cedar Point Amusement Park. Select 10 rides that you would like to ride.
4. Use an organizer to create categories based on the level of thrill from 1-5 (5 is rated as the most thrilling).
5. Organize the names of the rides you would prefer under the thrill level category.
Image by hounddiggity
6. Create a screenshot (image capture) of the graphic organizer.
7. Save it to your File Space.
8. Take this roller coaster survey and make a prediction (click here).
BONUS Search Challenge: Check out this Database of Operating Roller Coasters in North America.
Use the "Modify Report" link on the top right-hand side.
This report has been created using the following search criteria:
Classification= Roller Coaster;
Location = North America;
Roller Coasters (All);
Current Status = Operating
Modify the Search and write down your answers to the following. When done, compare your results with another classmate to see if your results match.
- What company in North America has: Stand Up Steel Roller Coasters in Operation?
- Does Canada have any Wooden Roller Coasters in operation? If so, how many?
- Search to see where new roller coasters are being constructed with the following search criteria: Current Status=Under Construction; Location=United States; Classification=Roller Coaster; Design=Inverted;
Completing this Quest
In order to complete this Quest create a screenshot of your graphic organizer and save it to your File Space (or into a digital portfolio). Make sure to follow your teacher's directions for turning in your work.
To earn Expert status
List the characteristics of a Thrill Ride that would have the most potential energy and the characteristics of one with the most kinetic energy. Explain in complete sentences or in a drawing why these characteristics apply. This document needs to be saved to your File Space and presented to your teacher for review.
Watch this video from the Adventure Academy on Potential and Kinetic Energy.
Are you having trouble remembering what Kinetic and Potential Energy mean?
- How Stuff Works--Roller Coasters
- NASA demonstrates kinetic and potential energy on the International Space Station by showing how an object’s potential energy changes due to its position.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed this Quest and I am ready for Quest 3
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
3. Knowledge Constructor
c. curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods
5. Computational Thinker
b. Collect data or identify relevant data sets
6. Creative Communicator
b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
Websites and Documents
- Cedar Point Amusement Park
- Database of Operating Roller Coasters in North America
- How Stuff Works
- Links to Amusement Parks Around the World
Videos From Outside Sources
21t4s Documents & Quizzes