14. Social Networking
A social network is an online community of people who use a website or app to build relationships and communicate with each other by sharing comments, images, videos, resources, etc. Common examples include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. Using social networks can be a lot of fun and help us feel connected and involved with other people. There are both positive benefits such as staying in touch with friends and family, looking for a job, sharing news, but there are also negative impacts such as rumors, bullying, and drama. This Thing will help you evaluate these issues.
When you have completed this Thing you will:
know what a social network is [Empowered Learner]
understand why it is important to manage your digital identity when using a social network [Digital Citizen]
understand why it is important to navigate social networks safely and post thoughtfully [Digital Citizen]
be able to create a set of personal guidelines for navigating social networks [Digital Citizen]
Quest 1: Life Online, an Exploration
Examine your online habits to get a picture of your life online.
Quest 2: Social Networks in Society
Find out how easy it is to get information about you from your online activity and how prospective employers view your social networking habits.
Quest 3: Consider This
This Quest will encourage you to think before you post by sharing the consequences of poor online decisions.
Quest 4: Safe and Smart
In this Quest, you will examine your online habits and consider what you have learned in this Thing to create a set of social network guidelines for yourself.
- Texting Texting is a popular way for people to communicate with each other. Sometimes it can get out of hand. You are going to watch two short videos and then have an assignment on responsible texting.
- Emoticons and Emojis What are emoticons? What are Emojis? What is the difference and why should you use them? These are questions that you will be able to answer after completing this Quest.
- Too Much Information You will watch two videos and then explain why over-sharing on mobile devices can be harmful.
- Little Red Riding online This Quest is built around three videos posted on Youtube from Funmoods. They are animated videos about Friending, Privacy Settings, and Online Safety.
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
Websites and Applications
Websites and Apps
- 3 Reasons Why Social Media Age Restrictions Matter
- Common Text Emoticons
- Eight Essential Facebook Rules for Teens
- Facebook Safety Section
- Friend Finder
- Friend or Fake
- PBS Learning Media
- Six Simple Ways to Improve the Security of Your Social Media Profiles
- Social Media Contracts
- Social Media Contracts for Teens and Parents
- Survey Monkey
- What a Parent Needs to Know About Snapchat
Thing 14 Social Networking Vocabulary Quiz
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode".