14. Social Networking
A social network is an online community of people who use a website or app to build relationships and communicate with each other by sharing comments, images, videos, resources, etc. Common examples include Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. Using social networks can be a lot of fun and help us feel connected and involved with other people. There are both positive benefits such as staying in touch with friends and family, looking for a job, sharing news, but there are also negative impacts such as rumors, bullying, and drama. This Thing will help you evaluate these issues.
When you have completed this Thing you will:
know what a social network is [Empowered Learner]
understand why it is important to manage your digital identity when using a social network [Digital Citizen]
understand why it is important to navigate social networks safely and post thoughtfully [Digital Citizen]
be able to create a set of personal guidelines for navigating social networks [Digital Citizen]
Quest 1: Life Online
Learn to research how often teenagers text and use social media and to look at your own patterns and those of your friends and determine the positives and negatives of easy access to information and social networking.
Quest 2: Social Networks in Society
Find out how easy it is to get information about you from your online activity and how prospective employers view your social networking habits.
Quest 3: Consider This
This Quest will encourage you to think before you post by sharing the consequences of poor online decisions.
Quest 4: Safe and Smart
In this Quest, you will examine your online habits and consider what you have learned in this Thing to create a set of social network guidelines for yourself.
- Texting Texting is a popular way for people to communicate with each other. Sometimes it can get out of hand. You are going to watch two short videos and then have an assignment on responsible texting.
- Emoticons and Emojis What are emoticons? What are Emojis? What is the difference and why should you use them? These are questions that you will be able to answer after completing this Quest.
- Too Much Information You will watch two videos and then explain why over-sharing on mobile devices can be harmful.
- Red Riding Mood Online This Quest is built around three videos posted on YouTube from Funmoods. They are animated videos about Friending, Privacy Settings, and Online Safety.
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
URL list of Things & Quests
This is a link to the complete URL list. There is a separate sheet for each Thing. This list is being updated daily as links can go bad or newer content is added.
The sheets can be sorted by:
- 21t4s Category (Websites, 21t4s documents & quizzes, 21t4s videos, videos from other sources, student checklist, teacher guide)
- Document Type (Google and Microsoft applications, PDF, Quizlets, YouTube-SchoolTube-TeacherTube videos)
Use the Awesome Index to sort by Thing#Quest#, Technology Standards, Interactive/Self-Guided activities, Key Vocabulary, Content Area, Teacher Guides, and Applications.
REPORT A BAD LINK
If you discover a bad link or outdated content, please use the Report a Bad Link to notify us.
Thing 14 Social Networking Vocabulary Quiz
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode".