Gold Quest - Texting
Texting is a popular way for people to communicate with each other. Sometimes it can get out of hand. You are going to watch two short videos. The videos show the dangers of texting.
You might have a cell phone and feel you are already a proficient texter, but we think that you need to watch the videos "Mike-Tosis" and "Heads Up: Stop.Think.Click" below. Ask your teacher if you are going to watch the videos as a class, or if you need to do it individually. After watching the videos, wait for instructions.
I Can Statement
- compare appropriate and inappropriate use of cell phones for texting
Texting: Texting is digitally sending a message to someone else.
Proficient: Being proficient is being very fast or skilled at something, like being a very proficient texter.
Responsible texting: Responsible texting is when you are safe, a good digital citizen, and not engaging in rude behaviors. You should avoid texting someone when with someone else, (parents, adults, classmates) when attending events (movies, dinner, school events), or in transit (walking, running, driving).
Rumor: A rumor is something shared with others that is talk or opinion and not a verified true statement.
Sexting: Sexting is sending nude, semi-nude, or sexually explicit material, photos, images, across digital media. This is a crime, misdemeanor, or felony, depending on your state laws.
Play the Vocabulary Game to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Link
1. Watch the videos Mike-Tosis, and Heads Up: Stop Think Click as directed by your teacher (as a class or individually).
2. Look at the following questions. Your teacher will let you know if you will have a class discussion, write a reflection, hold a class debate, or create a presentation.
- What rumor were the students at NS High spreading in Allie's daydream?
- What technologies were they using to spread the rumor?
- Why did the rumor spread so fast?
- What could have happened to Allie as a result of this rumor?
- Before you click to send a text message, picture or video what should you do? Would you want someone to send it to you? Would you want your future employer to see it?
3. Create a list with at least 10 tips for responsible texting.
Completing this Quest
After watching the video and looking at the questions, check with your instructor for the assignment.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Competencies and Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
d. Manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online
Websites and Documents
Videos from Outside Sources
21t4s Documents & Quizzes