Gold Quest - Emoticons and Emojis
Texting is a great way to keep in touch with your friends and family. There are a couple of problems with it though. It is missing something that is vital to good communication: tone of voice and facial expression. Have you ever texted someone and they got mad at you? Texting, emails, and IM'ing are all ways that we can communicate without seeing or hearing each other. How can you convey meaning when you can't use these things? In one word, emoticons!
:) Odds are that you have seen them before. In fact, you might have even used them before. But how often do you use them? Which ones do you use? Are there many of them? Let's go find out.
Emoji: An emoji is a small digital image or symbol used to express an idea, rather than an emotion, etc. Emoji's are broader than an emoticon and can include pictures of animals, transportation, and such.
Examples: A small owl image to represent being smart or wise, or shaking hands to represent friendship.
Emoticons: Emoticons are the use of text or keyboard symbols or a sequence of keyboard symbols to represent a facial expression or emotion. Emoticon videos are short clips recently being used by companies to promote their software or program.
Examples: :-) representing a smile, :( for frown, :'( for crying
Table: A table is a set of facts or figures systematically displayed, especially in columns.
I Can Statements
- explain the difference between an emoticon and an emoji
- name at least three ways to use emojis appropriately
Part 1 - Emoji Grammar
Part 2 - Using Emoticons and Emojis
2. Read this short article on emoticons and watch the video Terrible tEXt (may be flash).
- Optional example of a 1 minute animated Emoticon video (YouTube) to the tune "Don't Worry, Be Happy" about friendship.
4. Open a word processing document and list at least three things you need to keep in mind when using emojis and when using emoticons..
5. Make a table below your list that has two columns. Label one column symbol and the other column meaning. Copy and paste three emoji's that would be appropriate to use, and type in three emoticons that would be appropriate to use.
If you get done early, why don't you have some fun with emojis and emoticons? You can make a short story with them or maybe just a couple of sentences using them along with words.
Completing this Quest
Save your table of emojis and emoticons in your File Space and wait for further instructions from your teacher.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Competencies and Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
d. Manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online