Q2 The Main Idea
Effective communication begins with an idea worth sharing. In this Quest you will step through a four-part process designed to help you develop a complex idea worth sharing.
Review the I Can Statements below to get a clear picture of your goals. Continue to work with your group.
Topic: A topic is the main idea that is being discussed.
Split screen: A split screen is to have two different browser windows or applications open and arranged to be viewed side-by-side. Two minute tutorials on how to split the screen for:
Subtopic: A subtopic is a topic that is a part of the main topic.
Skimming: Skimming is reading a text quickly to get the main points.
I Can Statements
- identify a problem or select a topic for research
- plan a research strategy
- analyze and evaluate sources
- organize information into categories
- synthesize information into my own idea
Open 17.Q2 Work Log in a new tab.
Make a copy in Google Docs or download it as a Microsoft Word file.
Split your screen so that on one side you can see the Quest directions and on the other your Work Log (see the tutorial in the vocabulary words section if needed).
Make a Plan and Gather Information in the Work Log
Open www.curiosity.com in a new tab
Select a subject area that is of interest to your group (e.g. Amazing Planet, Future of Driving, Science of, etc.).
Each of your group members should then explore different articles in the subject area you have chosen.
Take two-three minutes to skim your articles. Look at the title, headings and illustrations to get the general idea.
Share the main idea of each of your articles with the group and choose one that has an interesting idea or message to communicate.
Complete the Make a Plan section in your Q2. Work Log.
10. Determine how the information in the article chosen is organized. Look for a main idea and supporting points or subtopics.
11. Take notes in one of the following ways:
- Draft an outline in the Get Organized section in your Work Log.
- Create a visual organizer using one of the applications listed below. Screenshot your completed work and paste it in the Get Organized section in your Work Log.
2. Visual Learning, Quest 1 Fire Rescue
Assign Parts in the Work Log
12. Review the outline or visual organizer you created.
13. Determine who will creatively communicate the supporting points identified in your notes.
14. List each group member's name and their assigned part in the Work Log section titled Assign Parts.
15. Share your completed Work Log with your teacher.
Completing this Quest
When you have completed the Work Log and shared it with your teacher you are ready to move on to the next Quest.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I am ready for Quest 3 Creating Your Digital Artifact
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
5. Computational Thinker
c. Break problems into component parts, extract key information, and develop descriptive models to understand complex systems or facilitate problem-solving
6. Creative Communicator
a. Students choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication.
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.7 Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.10 Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.2 Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.4 Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.5 Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.6 Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and communicative tasks, demonstrating command of formal English when indicated or appropriate.