Q4 Getting Social
You created your first web presence using the professional guidelines in your last Quest. In this Quest, you will investigate how social media can impact your digital footprint. There are many popular ways to boost your digital footprint using social media and other means. You will explore how to be socially responsible and empathetic in social media, your classroom, and your community.
Empathy: Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
Choice Board: A choice board is a graphic organizer or table that allows students to choose different ways about a particular concept.
Social Responsibility: Social responsibility is the way in which individuals are accountable for online actions that are ethically sensitive toward social, economic and environmental issues.
- Philanthropy is providing goodwill to fellow members of the human race, especially active effort to promote human welfare
- Environmental acting in the best interests of their environment and society as a whole.
- Economical is engaging in charitable giving
- Political is a responsibility to step in and provide leadership on important social issues.
Social Media: Social Media is the form of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) where users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content.
Meme: A meme is an amusing or interesting item (such as a captioned picture or video) or genre of items that is spread widely online, especially through social media.
Cyberbullying: Cyberbullying is the verbal bullying of someone (as a classmate) through the use of often anonymous electronic communication (as online posts or text messages).
Chat: To chat is to take part in an online discussion in a chat room.
Culture: Culture is the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group.
Forum: A forum is a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas.
Discussion Board: A discussion board is a place online that is used for public discussion of a specific topic and on which users can submit or read messages.
I Can Statement
- demonstrate empathy and social responsibility online, in my classroom, and in my community
- demonstrate social responsibility and empathy in my digital footprint
Before starting the steps, please copy or Download the
21t4s 5.Q4 Empathy and Social Responsibility Student Worksheet.
1. Watch this YouTube video on The Importance of Empathy.
2. Look over the vocabulary for social responsibility. What is social responsibility? Read this article on the link between social responsibility and digital citizenship.
3. It is important when online that you demonstrate empathy and social responsibility. Discuss with your classmates: How can you demonstrate social responsibility and empathy in your digital footprint?
4. Throughout your social media life, you will post and respond to various situations. How you respond and post is important when building your positive digital footprint. Here are some tips when posting online. Watch this YouTube Video Oversharing: Think Before You Post.
5. Check out this article on tips on how to use Twitter.
6. Apply the THINK acronym before you post, message or respond to others:
T - Is it TRUE?
H - Is it HURTFUL?
I - Is it ILLEGAL?
N - Is it NECESSARY?
K - Is it KIND?
Social Media Choice Board
6. Now that you have an understanding of empathy and social responsibility as well as ways to post online, complete the activities below on responding to Social Media.
**Check with your teacher. The objective is for you to choose two from this board to complete.
A. Read this article on Twitter https://kidsnclicks.com/actress-fired-for-inappropriate-tweet-as-a-teenager-understanding-social-media-for-kids/
Write a 5-6 sentence paragraph on how negative social media posts can impact your digital footprint, and how posts today can impact your future (example - Twitter Chat doesn’t go away) -
B. Look at the images on this Power of Words page.
Pick one and write it up in a document in 140 words or less, what you think the picture represents. Include the URL to the image you selected to write about.
C. Create a sample social media conversation that demonstrates social responsibility and empathy. Use tools like iPhonefaketext.com (where you can create and share lifelike iPhone text conversations) or use a Google Doc/Word doc to show a conversation thread.
D. Show how you would respond to the following examples:
Q1 What is the most important club or sport at our school?
Q2 - What is your favorite technology tool
E. Watch this video on Social Media.
Do you agree with the idea of social currency and likes? (sample image from the video is shown below)
Create a fake tweet and share it out in your document. (140 words or less)
F. Hashtags #...
Using a hashtag may cause you to see inappropriate and mature content that includes mean or sexual comments, hashtags about suicide, anorexia, and other concerning topics.
Write out two to three hashtags that would be appropriate for student use, such as:
#love, #PureMichigan, #college
Discuss It Choice Board
7. Below are some classroom discussion board scenarios. Choose two from this area to complete.
|G. Susan’s birthday party was yesterday. She had a great party but was sad when two of her best friends did not show. How would you respond showing empathy and social responsibility?||
H. After taking the Empathetic survey (pdf document) from Teaching Tolerance, respond to the question below,
Do you think you are an empathetic person? Respond in discussion board format.
I. Watch this video clip https://youtu.be/D96J4RS-eDY
Do you think Beymax does a good job being empathetic? Defend your answer.
|J. Pair up with a classmate. Have them share a situation where they were scared, embarrassed or sad. How did you show empathy to that student? Share a 1-5 word answer on a post-it note.|
|K. Think of a situation. Try to imagine what it feels like being in someone else’s shoes is to ask yourself, “How would I feel in this situation?” How else can you try to understand how others feel? Create a response||
L. What technology tools do you use the most and why?
Final Quest Four Reflection Assignment
8. Final Quest Four Reflection Assignment
- How does social media connect to your own digital footprint?
- Refer back to your digital footprint and create an artifact that explains how you demonstrate social responsibility and empathy.
- Use examples from school, classroom, and/or your community.
- Check with your teacher on the assignment requirements.
Some artifact options:
- Written reflection
- Audio or video recorded reflection
- Another creative choice
Completing this Quest
You have completed this Quest when you have reflected on social responsibility and empathy and created your final reflection assignment through the steps in this Quest.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed this assignment.
I am ready for Quest 5, Balancing My Media
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
b Students build networks and customize their learning environments in ways that support the learning process.
2. Digital Citizen
b Students engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices.
3. Knowledge Constructor
c Students curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts that demonstrate meaningful connections or conclusions.
6. Creative Communicator
c Students communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations.
d Students publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences.