This just in! Breaking news! You don't want to miss THIS!
How many times have you fallen for a pop-up advertisement or an eye-catching link that prompts you to read on? This is called clickbait and it is often paid for by the advertiser or generates income based on the number of clicks. The content is often not true, but more of a bait and hook for people browsing the Internet.
This Quest includes a Thing 19, Breakout Challenge Review Activity covering all four of the Quests, and is located at the bottom of the page.
I Can Statements
- define clickbait
- identify clickbait and refrain from clicking on it
Clickbait: Content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.
Degrade: To deteriorate and make inferior or less desirable.
Fraudulent: The crime of using dishonest methods to take something valuable from another person.
Malware: Software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode." Direct Linkhttps://quizlet.com/214854597/match
Create Your Own Clickbait!
1. Watch this video CLICKBAIT Explained first to learn more about Clickbait.
2. Create your own Clickbait. You will add a photo and a headline that will lure others to click on your image.
3. Use any of the photos from this Clickbate Google Drive Photo Album which are all public domain for your use in this project. Download and save a photo from the album
5. Explore the features and create your image with text. Position the text where you want it on the page.
6. Save your image to your computer. Upload the image to a shared location such as Google Drive to share it with your teacher.
7. With the entire class view the class-created Clickbaits and discuss how Clickbaits can lure online traffic and how online users can avoid taking the bait and hook.
Digital Breakout Review Activity
Note: If you do not know what a 21t4s Digital Breakout Activity is, open the content box on the right above the Printer icon, read and watch the video for hints.
*Check with your teacher about working with a partner or with others as a team to solve this Digital Breakout Activity by locating the four clues and solving them before the timer runs out. Good luck!
Direct link to the Buyer Beware Breakout
Once you solve and unlock it, take a screenshot of the Award or ask your teacher to check your screen.
Once you unlock it, you might want to take a screenshot of the Award for your portfolio, or check with your teacher.
Please be sure to tell us what you think of this Breakout Activity so that we can meet your needs. Use this link for a very short survey.
Completing this Quest
When you are done with this Quest, review the I Can Statements at the top of the page, share your assignment with your teacher and save a copy for your digital portfolio.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology
Websites and Documents
What is a Digital Breakout Activity?
This is a web-based, game-like activity where students use clues to unlock a series of puzzles or activities to solve a challenge (or to escape a digital room).
Students frequently work together, (conference, or chat) as they work to locate and solve clues.