*to view the video fullscreen, remember you can click the triangle to start it playing, then click on the double arrows near the bottom right of the video window. Click on your esc (escape key) to return to the smaller size and this page.
Welcome! The objective of the Basics Quests is to build important technology operations, skills, vocabulary, and an understanding of using computing devices. There are eight main Quests and three Gold Quests that are included for those wishing additional resources.
When you have completed this Thing you will:
- be able to navigate the 21 Things 4 Students website (Knowledge Constructor]
- understand basic technology operations [Empowered Learner]
- understand your school's Acceptable Use of Technology Policy [Digital Citizen]
- know how to improve keyboarding skills [Empowered Learner]
- understand basic email etiquette and safety [Digital Citizen]
Open this Expandable Content Block - - >
Bella is checking her d-mail and finds a demoji from her friend Chance.
She sends her congratulations for expanding this content window by clicking on the (your browser might use a different symbol). We use it when there are special sections of content. You can click on the to contract it again.
Student Showcase Portfolio --->
Introducing the Thing 1 Student Showcase Portfolio
- Located on each Thing page on the right side menu.
We are introducing Slide Decks that can be used as a portfolio to document student work on the Quests for each "Thing".
Check with your teacher about using it.
Directions: The first slide on each template should be deleted after reading it. (Screenshot below)
We are providing slide deck templates (Google slide shows or Microsoft PowerPoint .ppt files, that can be downloaded) for each of the 21Things.
What can students do with it?
- Paste evidence (screenshots) of their work
- Write their ideas and reflections
- Add images or embed videos they create
- Add tips to remember or to share with others
- Turn it in as an assignment
- Show it off to a family member, friend, or relative by sharing it
- Use some or all of it as a resume or for a job application
- Delete and add slides and media as desired to showcase their technical knowledge and skills
- Be used with or instead of the Student Checklist for Assignment documentation
To Use the Template you will be able to:
- Google slides: use the File menu>Make a copy to add it to your own drive space.
- Microsoft 365 users can download it as a Microsoft PowerPoint file, and upload it to your One Drive, or email it to yourself, or save to use on your desktop with the PowerPoint app.
A short demonstration of accessing and editing the Google slideshow template is located below.
Quests 1-4 focus on learning to navigate the 21Things, capture your screen, use shortcuts and tips using a web browser.
Quests 5-8: have activities to help you improve your computing knowledge and skills.
Basics Gold Quests: These are extra Quests for those wishing to explore additional Basic activities.
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Proceed to the graduation page for this Thing.
Thing 1 Basics Vocabulary Quizlet
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode".
Vocabulary Quizlet Direct link to set.
URL list for Things & Quests
This is a link to the complete URL list. There is a separate sheet for each Thing. This list is being updated daily as links can go bad or newer content is added.
The sheets can be sorted by:
- 21t4s Category (Websites, 21t4s documents & quizzes, 21t4s videos, videos from other sources, student checklist, teacher guide)
- Document Type (Google and Microsoft applications, PDF, Quizlets, YouTube-SchoolTube-TeacherTube videos)
Use the Awesome Index to sort by Thing#Quest#, Technology Standards, Interactive/Self-Guided activities, Key Vocabulary, Content Area, Teacher Guides, and Applications.
REPORT A BAD LINK
If you discover a bad link or outdated content, please use the Report a Bad Link to notify us.