QM6. Sweet Tools with Word for Microsoft Office 365
In this Quest, you will learn about some “SWEET” TOOLS to help you when using your Microsoft 365 Suite Tools. These tools will help you be more productive in your word processing.
I Can StatementS
- Find and use the speech to text tool.
- Use text to speech to read your work back to you.
- Use text to speech to translate text.
- Locate and use the online dictionary.
Text-to-speech (TTS): is a type of assistive technology that reads digital text aloud. It's sometimes called “read aloud” technology. With a click of a button or the touch of a finger, TTS can take words on a computer or other digital device and convert them into audio.
Speech-to-text (STT): the process of converting speech input into digital text, based on speech recognition.
Translate: To translate means to turn text into one's own language or another language.
Online Dictionaries: are dictionaries that are available on the Internet or World Wide Web and accessed through a Web browser using a computer or a mobile device, primarily by typing a query term into a search box on the site.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode". Direct link to the Quizlet.
There are many tools that you can use to make work easier. Try some of the tools in this Quest and see which ones work best to meet your needs. One thing to keep in mind is whether you are using an ONLINE version of Microsoft Word or the desktop version.
NOTE: Keep in mind that when you are using an ONLINE version of Microsoft Word or the desktop app there will be some differences.
- There a lot of SWEET tools that are all FREE and part of Microsoft Immersive Reader
Immersive Reader is your one-stop shop for Microsoft. It is a free assistive tech tool for Office 365 that brings assistive technology tools into the Office 365 environment to improve reading and writing for people. Immersive Reader can improve reading comprehension and increase fluency for English language learners. It is accessible on the Office 365 Platform including Word Online, OneNote, Outlook, and PowerPoint. This is a great tool if you struggle reading text for any reason.
*NOTE- Immersive Reader can also be used on the desktop version, but there are less features than on the online Microsoft 365 version.
- Text to Speech is a type of assistive technology that reads digital text aloud. It's sometimes called “read aloud” technology. Immersive Reader Can read text back to you.
- Translator located in Immersive Reader can translate your document into many different languages and read the out-loud in that language
- Built-in Online Dictionary is another feature in Immersive Reader that will provide definitions for words you select, and can be selected to show pictures of the word in question.
- Speech to Text is also called dictation where you talk into the microphone and it types the words for you. It is built into many of the Microsoft 365 applications, and features a "Dictate" icon on the toolbar for Word.
Microsoft Word 365 Online with Immersive Reader and Speech-to-Text
Note: This part is specific to using Microsoft 365 online. There is a different section that demonstrates using it with the Desktop version of Word.
1. Watch this video about Immersive Reader first. You will see how to select it, have it read text outloud for you, translate it, and how to adjust your settings for spacing, and identifying parts of speech. If you are using Google Chrome you will want to look at the second video provided below after this one.
You might want to make the video play full screen for best viewing.
Speech-to-text is a feature where you can speak into a microphone and the computer types the words into your document for you. This is a feature that is both on the desktop and online version of Microsoft Word 365. Watch the video for this Speech-Text dictation tool.
1. Open your poem document,
2. Put your cursor below the poem
3. Click on the dictate icon on the home menu and start speaking.
4. Be sure to select "OK" to enable your microphone if prompted.
5. Begin speaking, did it work?
6. Remember to click on the icon of the mic to turn it off when done.
Microsoft Word 365 Desktop App with Immersive Reader and Speech-to-Text
4. Select any Word document (your poem or a blank one).
5. Click on the dictate icon on the home menu and start speaking.
6. Be sure to select "OK" to enable your microphone if prompted.
7. Begin speaking, did it work?
8. Remember to click on the icon of the mic to turn it off when done.
9. If you speak a foreign language, know one, or want to practice some you have learned, you can select the arrow next to the microphone and select a different language to dictate with. Try it out.
Chrome Extension with Immersive Reader
If you are using the Google Chrome browser this video will help you learn how to set it up to use the extension:
2. Now it's your turn to try it out. Try all the different features shown in the video and listed below. Open your Poem document, highlight a selection of the poem, and try out the different features:
- Text preferences will let you change the color of the background behind the text to make it easier to read
- Text size lets you make it larger and easier to see
- Spacing between words can be increased
- Different fonts can be selected
- It will read selected text using the Play button. It will highlight the words as it reads them to you.
- There are different voice settings that can change the speed and select male or female voices
- The Grammar option will break it into syllables or identify the parts of speech
- Reading preferences will give a line focus so it hides the other lines while it is reading it off. Reading preferences can show only one line or three lines at a time
- Picture dictionary will show images when you click on a word and pronounce it.
- It will also translate the document or selected text into a different language (more than 70 languages are available) PLUS it will read it in that language.
How sweet is Immersive Reader?
Completing this Quest
Check with your teacher about demonstrating one or more of these 'sweet' tools, perhaps to a family member or classmate.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
6. Creative Communicator
a. choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into their new creations
d. publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences