QM4 Graphics Tools with Word for Microsoft Office 365
In this Quest you will learn how to work with images, graphics, SmartArt if you use the Desktop app, and add a hyperlink to a separate document.
I Can Statements
- insert and format images and graphics for my documents with Microsoft Word 365
- add hyperlinks
- use SmartArt graphics when using the desktop app
Citation: This is the information needed to give credit to, or locate, work(s) published or created (a book, paper, article, web site, artwork, composition, music file) by others.
Hyperlink: An element in a digital document that links to another place in the same document or to an entirely different document or website. It is typically activated by clicking on a highlighted or underlined word or image on the screen.
SmartArt Graphics: A feature of Microsoft 365 for creating a visual representation of your ideas by choosing a layout to fit your idea or message. It is found on the Insert menu on the desktop app version, and helps you create a graphic organizer.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode". Direct link to the Quizlet.
Insert Graphics (pictures, images, photos) & Hyperlinks
Directions for using the ONLINE WEB version of Microsoft Word 365.
- Login to your Microsoft 365 account open your Poem document, create a new blank Word document, or open another Word document you want to add images to.
- Add a new tab and navigate to http://www.pics4learning.com/
- View the video below for examples of:
- Insert an image from a search within Word, resize and rotate an image, and add a style,
- Insert an image you downloaded to your computing device and crop it
- Add a hyperlink and citation to it
Watch the following (9:00min) video tutorial and pause it as you work along.
Directions for using the Microsoft Word 365 APP
1. Open your Microsoft Word app.
2. Open your poem or alternate document.
3. Watch the following (8 min) video tutorial demonstrating:
- Insert a pircutre from stock images, from Online, and your desktop
- How to resize, rotate the image
- Apply a style to the picture
- Format the picture using a variety of tools (color corrections, and artistic effects)
- Use the alignment or positioning tools to wrap text around it.
More Graphics and Animated Features (shapes, icons, 3D animated, and SmartArt
Most of these features are available when using the Microsoft Word App, and not the online version. Many of these features are also available in the other Microsoft applications such as PowerPoint. SmartArt may be found as an add-on to your school Microsoft online version of Word in addition to the app.
1. Open a blank Word document and select the Insert menu.
2. Watch the video (using the desktop app) below for some ideas to try out on your own. This will look at the following features:
- Shapes, and putting a picture inside one
- 3D models, and animated ones
- SmartArt template options and editing
3. Have fun exploring these features, and then share your discoveries with others.
Some screenshots of SmartArt menus
Completing this Quest
Congratulations on learning to insert and format a picture, add a citation, and make a hyperlink to a separate document.
Check off this Quest on your 21t4s roadmap
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
6. Creative Communicator
a. choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into their new creations
d. publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences