QM3 Microsoft Word: File Management
Some of the tasks you will find useful for schoolwork is to be able to upload and download documents from the Cloud, share them, and create or edit a PDF document, and organize and manage their drive space with folders.
- In Part One of this Quest, you will download a .RobertFrost bio.docx file and upload it to your OneDrive or submit it to a course management system (such as Google Classroom, Schoology, or other program).
- You will then correct spelling and grammar errors, and copy and add a citation.
- In Part Two you will save a sample PDF application form and then open and edit it
- In Part Three you will look at organizing your files, working with folders, find a file, and restore one deleted perhaps by accident.
I Can StatementS
- upload and download files in different formats
- save documents as a PDF file
- edit a PDF file
- organize and manage files and folders
Citation: This is the information needed to give credit to, or locate, work(s) published or created (a book, paper, article, web site, artwork, composition, music file) by others.
Upload: This is the action or process of moving or saving files, data, or information to another computer system or server.
Download: You are able to copy (data) from one computer system, server, or web site to your own device, typically over the Internet.
PDF file: PDF stands for Portable Document Format that is able to be opened by almost any computing device without having to purchase special software and retains the contents in a consistent format. (images, fonts, graphics, etc.) It was originally created by Adobe Systems' in 1991.
Edit a PDF file: There are some free programs and tools that help you fill-in and edit and save a PDF file.
Course Management System: A CMS keeps teachers and students organized with digital resources for class discussion, document management, homework submission, and course scheduling.
Sharing Permissions: These are settings available in applications where you can choose what permissions you give for accessing your files, and to whom. You can give edit, view, comment, and copy permissions for your files.
Play the Vocabulary Game below to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode". Direct link to the Quizlet.
Part 1: Download and Upload and Save as PDF
1. Think of this as an Upload-Download challenge game. You will be downloading files, uploading files, and saving as different file formats (PDF), and editing the PDF. It's also a challenge to keep track of where you save your files and later organize them.
Watch and pause this video tutorial to see what you will be doing.
2. PC (Windows and Mac) Download Directions. Chromebooks please use the next set of directions.
- Watch the Part One video. Pause and replay as often as you need to complete the tasks.
- Download: Select this file RobertFrostbio.docx to your filespace, 0r downloads folder.
- Where is it downloaded to?: if you see it on the bottom of your browser window, clicking on it will likely open it in Word. For this exercise, close it so we can go through the Upload steps. Be sure to check where it was saved, your downloads folder? your desktop? a file folder set up by your district?
- Open in Word: Locate the downloaded file, and open the document in Word.
- Errors: Use the Editor to locate and fix the spelling error and grammatical error.
- Continue to step 3.
Chromebook Download Directions
- Watch the Part One video. Pause and replay as often as you need to complete the tasks.
- Hold down the Alt and Shift key and select RobertFrostbio.docx
- Select Download file option.
- Select save to download the file.
- Open the file in Word.
- Use the Editor to locate and fix the spelling error and grammatical error.
- continue to step 3)
3. Add the following credits to your RobertFrostBio document:
- Add a citation to your document. You can copy and paste the citation below, to your Robert Frost poem (if you are using it).
This information is based on PoemHunter.com which is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia Robert Frost; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License. You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.
Copyright Note: Most work on the Internet is under copyright, as are most images found while doing a Google image search. It is important to understand copyright and give proper credit to sources.
- SAVE your changes.
4. Upload to OneDrive or alternate Cloud filespace Directions
Now it's time to upload your document to OneDrive. This step is similar to how you would upload any file to the cloud. If you are using a different online system in your District, then upload you file to your folder instead.
- Login to your OneDrive account to your My Files folder.
- Select a folder you are using for your work on this, or create one.
- Select the Upload menu
- Select Files from dropdown menu
- Locate and select the RobertFrostbio Word file you downloaded and edited.
- Select Open to upload it to OneDrive.
You should see a message stating the upload is complete. You should also be able to see the file in your OneDrive or designated filespace.
5. Download your file as a PDF document
- Open the file in OneDrive or alternate online file location.
- Select the File menu and Save As
- Select Download as PDF
- Decide where you will save it on your computing device again.
- Once you have saved it, Upload your .pdf file to OneDrive or your alternate location online so that you have both the Word docx file there, but also the .pdf version, so you can learn about editing a PDF document in Part 2.
Part 2: Editing a PDF file
Why would want to edit a PDF file?
Many businesses, schools, camps, and colleges provide their applications for you to fill out as a PDF file.
There are many free programs on the web that let you either convert a PDF file to a Word document, or edit it online. Experiment below to find one that works for you and your device.
1, Select this link to open and view a .pdf Sample Application and then see if you can edit it to put in your information. Can't edit it? Save it to your file space (computer or online).
2. Different web browsers will open the PDF file differently.
- Chrome may open it and will show a download icon along the top. Look for the little arrow pointing down at a line.
- Safari you will use the File menu and Export as pdf
- The Edge browser will show a printer icon and disc icon on the top, you can either use the disc icon and save it as a .pdf file to your computer, or the Printer icon and change the printer to PDF and save it that way.
2. Now for your experiment. Below are some different applications that can be used to Edit a PDF file. Be sure to save the document after editing it with a different name, and then reopen it to to make sure your edits were saved.
- Small.pdf converter lets you drag and drop or upload a PDF file to a free converter site and then download it as a Word document to edit it:
- Additional free web sites and resources that can be used to edit a PDF file:
- Chromebook PDF editor: Soda PDF Online
- Sejda lets you upload your PDF file online, fill out forms, add text or edit it, add images, create links and hyperlinks and annotate it for a free trial (must be less than 200 pages or 50MB).
- PDF Buddy is a drag and drop site to edit and sign a PDF file. A free account must be created to download it.
Part 3: File and Folder Management
1. This is the final part in this challenge.
Watch this short 5 minute video about organizing and managing your files in OneDrive.
- Locate your Recent files and Shared files
- Change the display between: tiles, then list, and then photo
- Right-click on a file and see the different options, rename, version history, etc.
- Use Search to find one of your files by name
- Create a folder if you haven't already done that
- Select several files and Move them to a folder
- If you have photos, look at one in a larger view.
3. Look at your files in drive space now and move, rename or delete them as needed to be more organized.
How many stars would you give yourself for this Quest? File management and organization? Congratulations is in order.
Completing this Quest
Congratulations on learning to upload, download, edit, and create a PDF file. In the next Quest you will add images to your Collaboration document.
Check off this Quest (QM3) on your 21t4s roadmap
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
6. Creative Communicator
a. choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into their new creations
d. publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences
Websites and Documents
- Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License
- GCF Learn Free.org Word Tutorials
- Microsoft Word Help and Learning Support Center
- OneDrive Icons and What do they Indicate? Microsoft Support
- PDF Buddy
- S0da PDF Online
- Part One Download, Upload, and Save as PDF Video
- Part 2 Editing a PDF Document Video
- Part 3 File and Folder Management Video
21t4s Documents & Quizzes