Gold Public-Service-Announcement Quest
Digital Storytelling can be done through videos, podcasts, ebooks, timelines, narrated presentations, images, or many different interactive media.
You can use presentation tools or graphic organizers to organize your media and story, the plot, setting, characters, conflict or main point, and the resolution or final message.
This Quest explores Public Service Announcements as a persuasive digital story.
Public Service Announcement (PSA): The purpose of a PSA is to motivate a specific target audience to take an action based on the message.
Target audience: A target audience is your intended audience for your PSA, such as friends, parents of your classroom, your relatives, etc.
I Can Statements
- know what a PSA is.
- know the characteristics of a PSA.
1. To develop an appreciation for a Public Service Announcement (PSA) watch the following video from SchoolTube.
2. With a partner or as a class, look at the following list of PSA characteristics.
- Take a position with a message (such as don't give your password to a friend, be careful what information you put in a chat room, don't be intimidated by bullying texts...)
- Deliver ONE core message that is convincing (supported with facts, images, examples...)
- Catch the attention of your intended audience with a clear message
- Create a slogan that is memorable and stands out, easy to remember, or uses an image that catches attention
See some PSA examples by students
3. Watch the short PSA's (created by students) that are embedded below and then discuss the questions provided in step four.
- What persuasive techniques are being used in both examples?
- What is the message and call to action presented in both examples?
5. Identify a partner or small group to work with and use this list of topics to select a topic. Then talk with your teacher about your topic idea. If you get stuck, check for ideas from this additional list of writing topics.
When ready, continue on to the PSA Creation: Cartoon or Infographic
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
6. Creative Communicator
a. Choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
d. Publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.5 Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.