QG1 Formatting Tools & Menus
Note: There are some short videos that will walk you quickly through the steps for this Quest. Play, pause and replay them as desired. *Remember you can make these full-screen for best viewing. We recommend you use the step-by-step guide provided along with the videos.
In this Quest you will create a new document and copy and paste in the content provided in Part One. Your challenge is to learn to use formatting features in your document.
When you are done we expect you will be able to:
- use the spelling and grammar check features
- format the title
- change the size and typeface of the font, use bold, italics and underline
- change the colors of the text and use highlights
- use the alignment tools to center or right align text
- insert a header, footer, and page number
- get a word count
- translate the document into another language
- use the Explore tool to see related information
- use the Task list to check you have completed these
- share the document with your teacher
Some suggestions for following the directions:
- Desktop or laptop: Make this browser window smaller to take up only half of your screen, then open these directions in a new window so that the directions are visible while you work on your document.
- If you cannot do that, check with your teacher to see if a Print-out of these directions is available
Watch each video, pausing frequently to help you complete each step
Format: When you are working in a word processing document you are able to change the shape, size and organization of text and other elements on a page.
Tools: these are additional features that can be helpful such as spelling and grammar check, dictionary, translate and Explore.
I Can Statements
- use many formatting features of Google docs
- use several special Google doc tools
Begin by expanding the Part One section (use the +)
Part One video
1. In your Google Drive space, create a new folder and title it with your first name, last initial and 21thingswork, Collaboration, or some other title that is helpful to store your work for this class.
2. Open the folder you just created and
a. Create a new document
b. Give your document a name to help you locate it again later on (4.collaboration and your initials)
c. Then copy the "Nothing Gold Can Stay" poem below exactly, and paste it into your document including the spelling error in the first line:
3. Go to the TOOLS Menu and select Spelling (you will see the misspelled word that will have a red squiggle line under it and will be highlighted). Accept the change suggested in the spelling check window.
4. Put one space between the title and the poem (Put your cursor at the end of the line and press enter or return).
5. Select all of the title (triple click or drag and select) and change the text style from Normal text to Title.
6. Select ALL the text on the page and change the Font on the poem and author to Arial, and then change the Font size of the poem to Size 14.
Once you are done with Part One, continue to Part Two.
Part Two Video
7. Bold the word "Eden".
8. Apply Italics to "by Robert Frost".
9. Underline the title.
10. Change the color words (gold and green) to their colors.
11. Color with a green highlight the word "leaf's" .
12. Highlight the word "dawn" to gray .
13. Center the title
14. Add a space between the poem and the author line and Right align the author's line
15. Space down three lines below the author's name and add "Edited by....(your name)" and format it to Heading Three.
16. Proof your work. Now glance through your entire document and see if there are any words underlined with a red dotted line indicating that there may be a spelling error. If you find any errors, be sure to correct them.
17. Check with your teacher to see if you should follow the next steps to share your document or continue to the next Quest before sharing.
How to share your document
How to share your document
To share your document: Click the Share lock icon, leave it set to private and click on Advanced and in the Invite people: box enter the email address your teacher provides.
Change the Sharing setting from Can edit, to Can Comment.
Make sure the checkbox is checked for Notify people via email
Click on Add message
Add a short message I'm sharing my Google Docs formatting assignment with you. and click on Send.
*** Be sure to save your document and remember how to return to it for future Quests.
Completing this Quest
After learning how to format your document, remember to check with your teacher about sharing or saving your document
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
6. Creative Communicator
a. choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into their new creations
d. publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences