Q2 Planning Your Presentation
Presentation Planning (2:32) from Commoncraft
It is very important when creating a presentation that it is effective and dynamic. In this Quest, you are going to learn about design features and the attributes of a good presentation.
I Can Statements
- collaborate online to create a presentation
- understand the features and attributes of effective presentations
Consensus: To come to an agreement.
Design: This refers to the array of ideas, stories, words, images, and elements such as animation and transitions that are arranged in a presentation.
Dynamic: This is characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.
Play the Vocabulary Game to practice the Key Vocabulary.
You can change the Quiz mode to Match, Test, Learn, Flash Cards, Spell using the selection list at the bottom right of the activity that says "Choose a Study Mode". Direct link.
Some valuable tips about the design process for a presentation
- Consider some of the design recommendations for creating a good presentation from the video below and add them to your Planning Document.
- Note: Although these apply to Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides has a similar "look and feel" and elements are added to Google Slides in the same or similar way. Good luck!
Direct link to this video on YouTube
Presentations can be dull and boring, OR they can be dynamic!
Have you ever sat through a boring slideshow presentation?
Consider these suggestions from the article,
"9 Presentation Tips for Students" to avoid putting your audience to sleep!
- know your topic
- use key phrases about your topic
- avoid using too much text per slide
- limit the number of slides
- design and layout is important on a slide
- avoid fancy fonts
- use contrasting colors for text and background
- try a slide design from the program
- use animations and transitions sparingly
- contain powerful visuals (pictures, images)
- toss out most of the bullet points (three maximum)
- edit your work carefully and remove unnecessary or repeated text
Add your favorite tips and and ideas to the group Planning Document.
Completing this Quest
When you have completed the Quest, review the I Can Statements. You are working on a project as a team, but you are still responsible for your slides. Make sure you uphold your part of the bargain!
Now your group has to come to consensus whether to use Google Slides or Microsoft PowerPoint for the creation of your presentation.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I'm ready to create a presentation using Google Slides QGS3 Create
I'm ready to create a presentation using Microsoft PowerPoint QM3
11.Q2 Student Checklist (Word docx)
11.Q2 Student Checklist (Google Doc)
11.Q2 Teacher Guide (Word docx)
11.Q2 Teacher Guide (Google Doc)
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, developing strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
b. Build networks and customize their learning environments in ways that support the learning process
c. Use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
6. Creative Communicator
a. Choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
c. Communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations
d. Publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences
7. Global Collaborator
b. With guidance from an educator, students use technology tools to work with friends and with people outside their neighborhood, city and beyond
c. Contribute constructively to project teams, assuming various roles and responsibilities to work effectively toward a common goal
Websites and Documents
Videos from Outside Sources
21t4s Video - NA