Q4 STEAM: Roller Coaster Step 3
CREATE & IMPROVE
1. Your challenge is to apply what you have learned about potential and kinetic energy and try to complete a successful and safe coaster run making changes to the options as you go through the test runs. Remember to refer to your notes document in Step 3 as you plan and carry out your trial tests.
2. Open, copy or download, and complete the four-part Coaster Testing Document.
3. One team member should open this Design a Roller Coaster website and select the BEGIN button to step through your planned design.
4. At the end when you will receive a report with a thumbs up or down. Fill this in your coaster testing document. Select "Your Safety Inspection" on the last step to learn from the experts about your coaster design.
(Note this interactive only provides a report and no longer functions to show your coaster run). See the interactive ones in the next content block.
Reflection: Can you improve your design? Change some of your design and complete two more design trials and document your choices and the results.
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
3. Knowledge Constructor
c. Curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
b. Select and use digital tools to plan and manage a design process that considers design constraints and calculated risks
c. Develop, test and refine prototypes as part of a cyclical design process
d. Exhibit a tolerance for ambiguity, perseverance and the capacity to work with open-ended problems
5. Computational Thinker
b. Collect data or identify relevant data sets
Websites and Documents
- Amusement Parks Physics
- ck-12 Physics Simulations
- Design a Roller Coaster
- Five-step Engineering Process
- How Roller Coasters Work
- How Stuff Works - Roller Coasters
Videos From Outside Sources
- Dad Builds Backyard Roller Coaster YouTube 11:30
- How Can a Roller Coaster go Upside Down without Falling? PBS Kids Video
- I Built a Huge Lego Roller Coaster Floor to Ceiling YouTube (10:53)
21t4s Documents & Quizzes